Jackson, low energy, lack of appetite.

lubben

I recently went on vacation for Christmas and left my Jackson chameleon (Alex) with a reptile sitter for 2 weeks. I have left Alex with this sitter before and he came back healthy and well fed. However, since he came back the second time he has been low energy and has had a very low appetite. I do not necessarily think these issues arose because of the sitter.
the only other change that has happened is when he came home I moved his enclosure upstairs to my room. My room may be slightly colder than his previous location in the living room but I still keep his basking spot 78-81 degrees.
Also he pooped about two days ago so there is likely no issue with impaction.
he also just shed within the past few weeks but he didn't have a drop in appetite during that process.
He still has moved around his cage a moderate amount and eaten about 8 worms over the past week. I feed him crickets, wax worms, and meal worms ( I know he should have a more diverse diet )
I also use rep-cal calcium (no phosphorus no d3) every two weeks and repashy calcium plus loD once a month
Should I be worried? am I doing something wrong? or could this just be like a hibernation?
the following link has several photos of Alex and his enclosure.
IMAGES

How often are you feeding? And how often are you dusting your feeders? You say that you use calcium without d3 (plain calcium) every two weeks. Plain calcium should be used every feeding. Lightly dust. Feed three times a week if an adult. Feed as much as they can eat when they are still growing. Everyone has a different implementation routine here on the forums, but everyone uses plain calcium at least a couple times a week.

Use repashy lod twice a month.

Also get rid of the wax worms and meal worms. A diverse diet is only as good as the diet itself. Honestly, feeding only crickets is better than mixing it up with waxworms and mealworms. Mealworms aren't the devil, but there are more nutritious feeders out there like dubias, silkworms, blacksoldier fly larvae etc.

What lighting are you using as well?

@JacksJill and @Kaizen are a wealth of information on jackson's chameleons. Also check out chameleon academy for the caresheet specific to the jackson's chameleon: https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/

He should be getting the no phos no D3 at least twice a week lightly. His calcium levels may be low but I bet your ambient temps are slowing him down.
The rest of the info from the from will help us rule other things out
How often are you feeding? And how often are you dusting your feeders? You say that you use calcium without d3 (plain calcium) every two weeks. Plain calcium should be used every feeding. Lightly dust. Feed three times a week if an adult. Feed as much as they can eat when they are still growing. Everyone has a different implementation routine here on the forums, but everyone uses plain calcium at least a couple times a week.

Use repashy lod twice a month.

Also get rid of the wax worms and meal worms. A diverse diet is only as good as the diet itself. Honestly, feeding only crickets is better than mixing it up with waxworms and mealworms. Mealworms aren't the devil, but there are more nutritious feeders out there like dubias, silkworms, blacksoldier fly larvae etc.

What lighting are you using as well?

@JacksJill and @Kaizen are a wealth of information on jackson's chameleons. Also check out chameleon academy for the caresheet specific to the jackson's chameleon: https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/
okay I will defiantly start dusting regularly.
I have a 125 watt heat bulb with an adjustable nob and a 15 watt t8 uv. I just ordered a 22inch zoo med reprisun t-5 high output 5.0 to replace my current uv.

He should be getting the no phos no D3 at least twice a week lightly. His calcium levels may be low but I bet your ambient temps are slowing him down.
The rest of the info from the from will help us rule other things out
what temps do you recommend for his basking spot and in the room he's staying in?

what temps do you recommend for his basking spot and in the room he's staying in?
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
Chameleon Forums Sponsor List

Back
Top Bottom