jackson chameleons

caroline?

Avid Member
Hi I have a two month old jackson and he keeps eating dirt i tried putting rocks but hes so small he can just eat through the rocks any advice?

I also have his mom she doesn't move much and i don't know what is wrong with her she eats and drinks fine but she just stays in the same spot all day. Could she possibly be pregnant again? (she's pretty chubby) or is she sick
C9342A42-E2A1-48EA-BAD0-203DF880B24B.jpeg
0D071867-4574-4795-BE43-B01D3F209D35.jpeg

Do you have a laying bin for the mother?
Chameleon lay infertile clutches of eggs, like chickens.

If you do not have a lay bin I recommend you put one asap.

If you need info on lay bins, there are tons of post about them here,
Good Luck

I can't get a picture of his cage now because im not home but this is a photo of him yesterday, he's hasn't had his first shed and he was born on august 29th when should i expect him to shed?
1605545567896.jpeg

I have a male Xanth but no help am I with females.

From CF's Jacksons care sheet:

Female Jackson's Chameleons
Egg Laying & Breeding

Interestingly Jackson's chameleons do not lay eggs but are viviparous (give birth to live young) after a 6-9 month gestation! Since they do not lay eggs a laying bin does not
need to be provided. They can however drop "slugs", which are the membranes and yolk around an egg was never fertilized.
A single breeding may produce several clutches from the same pairing due to sperm retention by the female. A few weeks before giving birth the female will usually have decreased appetite or stop eating and become restless. Average clutch size is 7-30 young. The young are born amongst leaves and branches wrapped in a membrane that they need to break open once born. Neonates should be immediately removed from the cage with the mother as predation on the young has been known to occur. The males are born with small nubs where their horns will grow in the future. Babies reach sexual maturity at about 9 months of age.

Yup, she’s ready to pop
Hi I have a two month old jackson and he keeps eating dirt i tried putting rocks but hes so small he can just eat through the rocks any advice?

I also have his mom she doesn't move much and i don't know what is wrong with her she eats and drinks fine but she just stays in the same spot all day. Could she possibly be pregnant again? (she's pretty chubby) or is she sickView attachment 282591View attachment 282590

yup she’s ready to pop! Hope you’re ready for more babies!

Wait, she gave birth 2 months ago? Um...as far as I know gestation is between 5 and 7 months. She certainly looks gravid, but that does indeed seem too soon. ?. As for the little one eating dirt, is the soil crawling with springtails?

Wait, she gave birth 2 months ago? Um...as far as I know gestation is between 5 and 7 months. She certainly looks gravid, but that does indeed seem too soon. ?. As for the little one eating dirt, is the soil crawling with springtails?
I thought the gestation was 5 to 7 months too....but I've never kept Jacksons (other than the menus) much
Good thought on the springtails..

also the baby doesn't eat much he always has food available. i feed him tiny dubia roaches and pin head crickets, he usually only eats 1-2 roaches a day and 3 crickets on the days i feed those

Which one are you going to take to the vet? Or is it both?
I would concentrate on stopping the dirt eating. Is he still pooping?
What are your supplements and how often do you use each? What do you feed/gutload the insects with?

Last edited:
im taking the adult to the vet, should i take the baby too?
i believe he is still pooping it's hard to tell because he's in a pretty big cage so i usually can't find it lol

I use calcium without D3 and i gut load the bugs with whatever fruit and veggies i have at the house usually apples,carrots, and other greens

what other supplements should i be giving them and any recommended brands?

thank you to everyone that has helped me today:)

Back
Top Bottom