Jackson chameleon nails

hi,
I just recently noticed my chameleon had been having trouble grasping on to the side of the cage, I then noticed he was missing a pair of his claws on one foot and another claw on the other foot . I have no idea how this happened, does anyone know if his claws will grow back ? He is a male Jacksonii xantholophhus about 7-8 months .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 238
If he climbs on the screen a lot that is usually how it happens. I don't know why the manufacturers make those enclosures with that small of a mesh. Maybe when they see it as an issue things will change. I have never seen a chameleons nails grow back.

If he climbs on the screen a lot that is usually how it happens. I don't know why the manufacturers make those enclosures with that small of a mesh. Maybe when they see it as an issue things will change. I have never seen a chameleons nails grow back.
I hope they do . I've seen him pretty clumsy lately , thanks for the information ,

hi,
I just recently noticed my chameleon had been having trouble grasping on to the side of the cage, I then noticed he was missing a pair of his claws on one foot and another claw on the other foot . I have no idea how this happened, does anyone know if his claws will grow back ? He is a male Jacksonii xantholophhus about 7-8 months .

It's from the screen. Whether the nail grows back depends on the amount of damage to the nail bed. I had some grow back, but it took an incredibly long time. This is why I hate screen cages. As the chameleon gets heavier, they are more likely to rip out their nails. Try to give him climbing surfaces near the screen so he goes up branches rather than the screen.

It's from the screen. Whether the nail grows back depends on the amount of damage to the nail bed. I had some grow back, but it took an incredibly long time. This is why I hate screen cages. As the chameleon gets heavier, they are more likely to rip out their nails. Try to give him climbing surfaces near the screen so he goes up branches rather than the screen.
Thanks a lot , I'll consider that tonight , what kind of cages or terrarium do y'all have ??

Thanks a lot , I'll consider that tonight , what kind of cages or terrarium do y'all have ??

I have all DragonStrand Breeder series caging. Three solid sides, screen door and ceiling. I really like these cages. The white walls make them very bright. Sometimes I will put on film doors that I bought separately, especially for babies. (Be aware that if you use the film doors/cages, they are crystal clear and you won't notice the door is closed.) They are extremely well made in the USA. To me, that's really important to support quality American manufacturers. I believe that we must support local small businesses instead of just buying garbage made in China.

http://dragonstrand.com/

Back
Top Bottom