Jackson Chameleon is very stressed

Kamran_k

Established Member
So I recently went on a trip and when I came back my Jacksons chameleon wasn't stressed but after I fed him he was instantly stressed and that was about 2-3 days ago and he has been extremely stressed for a couple days now and I am getting worried. I just rehoused him into a bigger cage (Dragon Strand Large Cage) and I added a bunch of plants and horizontal branches at the top. He is still active and eating and drinking and pooping but I am worried on what I can do to reduce his stress. I am suspecting he is wild caught because whenever he is out of his cage he is never stressed and I think me having to move and rearrange things in his cage could be adding to this. What do you guys think it is. Here is a picture of his cage. The humidity was a little too high so Increased ventalation.

Attachments

• IMG_2377.jpeg
    IMG_2377.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 93
He seems to only be stressed when he is at the top of his cage when he is in the middle or bottom he isn't. Should I give him more cover to hide under at the top?

He actually may not be stressed but is instead basking. They do turn dark to bask. If he's only dark when he's up there it's probably not stress. Keep an eye out that he is eating, and drinking, monitor his poop to be sure.
Any time that you move them to a new cage or even rearrange things they will stress a little. They won't feel comfortable until they are sure that it's their territory. It takes a couple days.
You've done a nice job with his enclosure. There is one plant, the bamboo, that concerns me if that is what it is? The leaves contain cyanide it might not be a problem for a Jackson's but never use it for veiled. I wouldn't risk it for either.

Another member on here suggested the Bamboo on another form I was reading and said it was okay for a Jacksons but I will definitely monitor that and if he acts weird then im gonna remove it. Thank you im a bit of a perfectionist and at first I always hate the enclosure but it grows on me after I add 1-2 things. Thank you for your help @JacksJill

They said that Bamboo should be fine for all non omnivorous chameleon species, but to never use Lucky Bamboo just pure Bamboo.

I will monitor him. Thank you for the heads up, in the meantime I will look for replacements for the bamboo. I was thinking about another Parlor Palm they look really nice but there just so expensive.

@salty dog Yea I have noticed that in his old cage he had his whole routine set up, Wake up, drink, hang out for about an hour, eat, bask, walk around the top of his cage and then go down into the middle and kinda climb around and then bask before he went to bed. I will just monitor him and make sure he settles In.

Back
Top Bottom