Jackson chameleon baby new

Jadeasmodeus

Well I'm new to the chameleon tree of lizards I'm quiet nervous as I believe I have a baby of 2 months if that. She doesn' drink with out my help right now and is eating waxworms and in what I think is a criket strike. I bought her from petco here in Indiana. I demanded a vet check before I bought her as she walked on the bottom endlessly . Since I bought her she hasn' touched the bottom. I think it' because they allowed crickets to run the bottom because I offered her some an she freaked wanting out of the cage .I removed them and I'll offer by hand tonight. As from I am reading worms are not real good for them ? She opens her mouth a lot . Looking to her heat lamp temps are at proper and stable. I' worried.

Please post some recent photos of him/her and the cage set up.

What is the basking temperature? Rest of the cage? Just saying they are fine doesn't help us to be sure.
Does she/he open the mouth when you approach or when sitting in the basking area or just anytime? Does it sleep during the day?

Waxworms are ok for a treat. Superworms, silkworms, hornworms, BSFL, locusts, roaches, are all good feeders but must be the appropriate size.
Crickets are a great staple because they are easy to get and care for and easily gutloaded too.

70 80 temp , 70 humidity . It' a female we are unsure of age they say 4 months looks to us around 2 months . She gasps her mouth open all the time period . When she sleeps she sleeps upside down odd. Her cage is a starter terrarium 10 gal I'll grab some more pics shortly

Attachments

• 20180317_191136.jpg
    20180317_191136.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 196
  • 20180317_191147.jpg
    20180317_191147.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 20180317_191156.jpg
    20180317_191156.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 186
How big are the crickets?

Did you wash all the things you used in the cage before putting them in the cage including the flowers?

How are you providing water for her? Is she drinking?

Is the cage lid screen? Where are the lights positioned on the top if the cage? To one side? In the middle?

Is she making any wheezing sounds or is there excess mucus in her mouth?
I don't like that she's hanging upside-down or that she's constantly gaping. Could be an RI.

Everything was boiled and clean before placing her . She
All lights r to one side
I'm offering her warm water drips and she accepts .
She didn't eat for me today but she ate two waxworms Friday she' small I'm going to offer her another later .
Her gasping has declined and she hasn' been hanging upside down since I took the picture .
If left her be as well to give her time to settle in .
She is got to be two months not 4 . I am demanding her records for health reasons and times they feed e ct. Criket is pinhead and small she is terrified of them still like literally wants out of her cage .

So. Oddly she is dehydrated , she puked half a was work up. The Dr said the eco earth must be in her tummy because she isn' passing anything she has no RI she is on gateraid and soaking twice a day and back at the company who sold a sick baby to me. I will not watch her pass away I have donated to her cause and hope to have her back in a week . Mind you I got her this way I'm glad I demanded a free vet visit I am also going to be reporting this pet store

Good on you for noticing the warning signs and taking care of it quickly!
Just make sure (as I'm sure you've figured out) to remove the eco earth if/when you get her back. It is safer to use no substrate at all

Sorry you are having such a bad experience. If things don't work out there is a group of people that just imported Jackson's chameleons from Kenya. They will be having a lot of babies in the near future. These captive born animals will be much healthier than what you will find languishing in most pet stores.
I will keep my fingers crossed that they can get her fixed up and home to you soon.

I am at a loss for words . The baby izzy..passed away this morning. I'm devastated right now. Sigh. I will want another but not a baby it will have to be way more grown . I appreciate everyone through this very hard time

Good on you for noticing the warning signs and taking care of it quickly!
Just make sure (as I'm sure you've figured out) to remove the eco earth if/when you get her back. It is safer to use no substrate at all

I never used it they did.. she passed away this morning quiet horrible and I feel broken

I'm so sorry for your loss. The pet store experience is very hard on them and the damage is very hard to spot. It's no reflection on you. A more mature cham, over 6 mos old will work out better.

I would start looking in the Market section here under chams for sale https://www.chameleonforums.com/forums/chameleons-for-sale.47/ and look for captive bred Jackson's for sale by members. Reputable breeders will wait til they are over 4-6 months to sell them. They cost bit more but what you save on vet bills and heart break are worth it. Don't be afraid to have them shipped to you. One overnight shipping is 100 times easier on them than weeks in a pet store display.

If you are a Facebook user there are two groups who's members occasionally have captive bred Xanths for sale. Jackson's Chameleon Fan's and Kenyan Xanth Project. Both are worth joining if you love Jackson's. The KXP will be having a lot of babies in the near future from their recently imported animals. If you have more experience they are doing another round of imports soon. If you aren't comfortable with treating for parasites and acclimating new imports wait for their babies to be born. These should be some nice animals as they are not from the highly inbred Hawaiian stock. Several members of this forum are a part of this project so many will be available here in about 6-8 mos.

If you are a Facebook user there are two groups who's members occasionally have captive bred Xanths for sale. Jackson's Chameleon Fan's and Kenyan Xanth Project. Both are worth joining if you love Jackson's. The KXP will be having a lot of babies in the near future from their recently imported animals. If you have more experience they are doing another round of imports soon. If you aren't comfortable with treating for parasites and acclimating new imports wait for their babies to be born. These should be some nice animals as they are not from the highly inbred Hawaiian stock. Several members of this forum are a part of this project so many will be available here in about 6-8 mos.
Yes very interested in having a chameleon that is ready for a great home. Went to say goodbye to Izzy they had the tank full of the veal chameleons one was fighting with another just made me sick , another was eating the dirt .. I had to walk away an new what the end result would be

Back
Top Bottom