Jackson’s Cham

wprazak

I purchased a Jackson’s Chameleon and was curious to the age and sex. Also is this color normal for a chameleon? (Picture below)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 75
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new Jackson’s. It appears there’s no horns on this cham. Do you have more pictures of them?
The colors don’t seem typical, but more pictures of your chameleon and pictures of your whole enclosure including the lights on top can help people assess their health and their environment

pictures and filling out the husbandry form will allow experienced keepers to better help you and your cham

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new Jackson’s. It appears there’s no horns on this cham. Do you have more pictures of them?
The colors don’t seem typical, but more pictures of your chameleon and pictures of your whole enclosure including the lights on top can help people assess their health and their environment

pictures and filling out the husbandry form will allow experienced keepers to better help you and your cham
Where is the husbandry form

More photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 75
Where is the husbandry form
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Originally I purchased a Veiled Cham but the guy instead offered a Jackson’s due the shipment of veils not coming in. So I took the offer
Jackson’s Chameleon. Sex unknown. Age unknown.
Has been in my care about a week now.
i only handle her if she comes down to me and shows she wants to be handled.
I feed calcium with d3 dust 5-6 this week. Have fed a couple meal worms. Need to get the calcium without d3.
there is a water system in back that has water constantly running that she drinks off and I hand mist the enclosure 3 times sometimes more daily.
no parasites test.
her poop looks like she ate but missing parts
Her enclosure is 12x12x18 with basking halogen and a led uvb
Temp in the day is from 70-80 and night I let get down to 65 also there is a temp gage and humidity gage in the tank and digital on the outside
There is a golden pothos and an aquatica tree. Bout to put my pitcher plant in with her
Sitting in front of the bedroom window and at night she is covered so not to disturb her when I do schoolwork
I’m in East Texas

You definitely need a bigger cage and probably different lights (can’t really tell what they are). I can’t help with anything more than that, though.
I need a a T5. Currently don’t have. And her cafe is going to be upgraded Thursday. I purchased the one I have now thinking I was getting a baby

Originally I purchased a Veiled Cham but the guy instead offered a Jackson’s due the shipment of veils not coming in. So I took the offer
Jackson’s Chameleon. Sex unknown. Age unknown.
Has been in my care about a week now.
i only handle her if she comes down to me and shows she wants to be handled.
I feed calcium with d3 dust 5-6 this week. Have fed a couple meal worms. Need to get the calcium without d3.
there is a water system in back that has water constantly running that she drinks off and I hand mist the enclosure 3 times sometimes more daily.
no parasites test.
her poop looks like she ate but missing parts
Her enclosure is 12x12x18 with basking halogen and a led uvb
Temp in the day is from 70-80 and night I let get down to 65
There is a golden pothos and an aquatica tree. Bout to put my pitcher plant in with her
Sitting in front of the bedroom window and at night she is covered so not to disturb her when I do schoolwork
I’m in East Texas
What do you mean LED UVB? Supplementation is less for montane chameleons (like Jacksons). You also need a multivitamin, too. What is the water system? What do you gutload your feeders with?
I need a a T5. Currently don’t have. And her cafe is going to be upgraded Thursday. I purchased the one I have now thinking I was getting a baby
What is the new cage size? What strength UVB bulb is going in the T5 fixture?

What do you mean LED UVB? Supplementation is less for montane chameleons (like Jacksons). You also need a multivitamin, too. What is the water system? What do you gutload your feeders with?

What is the new cage size? What strength UVB bulb is going in the T5 fixture?
Seeking recommendations

Sounds like you have a plan.

For a full-grown Jackson's chameleon, you need a 24x24x48 inch cage. As for uvb, arcadia 6% uvb t5 ho is recommended as this is the easiest to manage without a solarmeter. See image below for distance of uvb light from basking branch.
UVB-Map-Arcadia-UVB-FZone-3-Rev-D.jpg

You also state that you need to get calcium without d3--this is a must. But in the meantime, I would STOP giving her any more food with d3 as their metabolism is quite different from veiled chams and can easily overdose from too much d3. D3 should only be given twice a month.

Here is a caresheet for jackson's chameleons: https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/ . Let me know if you have any more questions.

Your basking spot should hit about 80 degrees and your ambient temps (the temps around the rest of the cage) should be in the low 70's to 75 max. And keep up the good work on dropping the temps down at night. 65 degrees is the highest nighttime temp your cage should be at. If you can get your room colder at night, the better off your cham will be.

Thanks for the pictures and more information You’ll definitely want to make several changes to keep her (I think) healthy long term

so for minimum cage size, you should look for a 24” wide X 24” deep x 48” high cage. Bigger is even better.
Cages can be all screen, glass (like the one she’s in), or hybrid (usually back and sides solid with screen top and front). If your ambient home humidity is naturally high a screen cage may work, but the hybrids tend to be the most versatile

For lighting consider Heat, UVB, and plant growth/health
Starting with the Cham’s health and UVB, T5 HO linear fluorescent bulbs are the standard. 6% bulbs or 12% bulbs from Arcadia are a great choice. Here’s some graphics on how to properly use these
00F5F80E-2436-44AC-899F-5E97C68035EE.png
9F1B6D96-1762-48AA-878D-E473E954F1FE.jpeg

https://chameleonacademy.com/uvb/

for heat a basking bulb (Regular incandescent 40-70 watt is good) in a dome fixture Will provide heat. It’s good to angle this so the warm basking spot also points at the branch under the UVB bulb. A thermometer at the basking area will help guide bulb wattage and distance

For humidity, ambient 30-50% is fine during the day, but you want it to increase to 80-100% at night. Live plants help this, if your ambient humidity is low (AC or furnace running), the hybrid enclosure will help hold humidity. I addition, misting and nighttime fogging can help create this day/night cycle for humidity

For feeding, VARIETY this is the best advice i can give you. Here’s a good graphic on feeders
2F2BB4E4-922A-474F-978E-1D57E0FBED7B.jpeg

in addition you want to feed your feeders quality food to ensure they’re passing good nutrition to your cham. Here’s a gut loading recommendation for stuff to feed the bugs to maximize their nutrition for your Jackson’s
8D21D869-691B-4950-BC46-242205708B64.jpeg

For supplements, Jackson’s can be a bit sensitive. You need a calcium WITHOUT vitamin D3 that you will dust your bugs with most feedings. Also you need a multivitamin WITH D3 that you’ll use no more than twice per month. Arcadia RevitalizeD3, Repashy LoD are examples of this

Hydration is important misting, fogging, and drippers are the tools we have. Check out this site for a great explanation
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-hydration-for-chameleons/
(After that, read through the whole site, it is the best IMO)

It’s a ton of information, but these truly are the basics of Cham care. They’re hardy if we can give them what they need.
Keep asking questions and make a plan to upgrade your girls environment.

there’s lots of great keepers here to help

Once you upgrade your lights you will only need D3 once a month and multivitamin once a month. Some people use an all in one Repashy Calcium Plus LoD twice monthly in place pf the D3 and multi vitamin. All supplements need to be used very lightly no ghosted or powdered doughnut feeders.
Not sure if anyone told you but she is a Jacksonii xantholophus or a Yellow Crested Jackson Female.
Her length and weight might give clues to her age. If you paid less than 150$ for her she is likely from the Hawaiian population.

Back
Top Bottom