I've noticed recently that members...

cantgetagoodsn

Avid Member
I have noticed recently that a lot of members have posted about their chams and a lost of appetite. Is this a normal behavior during this time of year when the temps are changing?

It might be expected seeing as the majority of keepers here are living in north America and experiencing winter. Despite artificial conditions of captivity, natural cues, such as dropping ambient temperatures of an evening and ambient light levels dropping earlier, barometric pressure and so on, may have some lizards responding accordingly.
:)

could this also effect how much they explore? I was going to take mine in to the vet tomorrow, but he seems more lively today and I did notice others with similar issues. So if I am just worrying too much, there may be no need for the vet.

I wouldnt stress him with a vet visit unless you feel its absolutely necessary. Myabe run a fecal on a fresh poop just to be sure nothings going on. But I dont bring em in unless i have too. Jmpo...

Btw: My male faly has been pretty sedentary all winter he is just now starting to explore again and really use the whole cage. Winter makes em sloow down.

I wouldnt stress him with a vet visit unless you feel its absolutely necessary. Myabe run a fecal on a fresh poop just to be sure nothings going on. But I dont bring em in unless i have too. Jmpo...

Btw: My male faly has been pretty sedentary all winter he is just now starting to explore again and really use the whole cage. Winter makes em sloow down.

Ok that makes me feel better. He does seem to be doing better today. I was getting so worried, even though I have done EVERYTHING recommended on these forums haha. I think I'm going to wait on the vet, it was just when he was sleeping for a little during the day yesterday, and when he was on my hand he would let me do whatever I needed to check him out. So naturally I just got a tad worried.

OT: cantgetagoodsn, whats behind the name? Whats the 'sn' stand for? Its been bugging me like crazy :)
Incidently, every time I see your avatar it reminds me of the late Don Lane LOL

Hey Cant: How are the temps in your area? If they are decent try getting him some natural uvb this weekend. Ive noticed that after a few days outside last week all my guys/gals are moving and eatting more. Just a thought.

OT: cantgetagoodsn, whats behind the name? Whats the 'sn' stand for? Its been bugging me like crazy :)

I think it means cant get a good screen name. As for appetites the transition from winter to spring is often the hardest time for animals in the wild -- until everything starts growing! So I think it may be natural.

Certainly been true for my outside chams for the past 1-2 months. For my indoor guys I JUST increased their light cycle time from 12/12 to 14/10. My neighbor with the same species did it about a month ago and his female (same age as most of mine) already cranked out eggs while mine are just sitting in their holes looking at me...

read third quote :)

Hey Cant: How are the temps in your area? If they are decent try getting him some natural uvb this weekend. Ive noticed that after a few days outside last week all my guys/gals are moving and eatting more. Just a thought.

It's getting decent during the day. like 60-70. I think when it gets mid to higher 70's Ill take him outside if I can find a good spot.

I think it means cant get a good screen name. As for appetites the transition from winter to spring is often the hardest time for animals in the wild -- until everything starts growing! So I think it may be natural.

Certainly been true for my outside chams for the past 1-2 months. For my indoor guys I JUST increased their light cycle time from 12/12 to 14/10. My neighbor with the same species did it about a month ago and his female (same age as most of mine) already cranked out eggs while mine are just sitting in their holes looking at me...

That is exactly what it means. When I was making an AIM screen name years ago, I couldn't get anything I wanted. They were all taken. So I came up with that and it kinda stuck.

I will change my light cycle too and see if that helps. I'm also going to order new lights. They are about 6 months old...

Hunger strike here too & it's gone on for way too long! I just got BB Flies for him so we'll see if that changes things. I tried several kinds of worms & of course crickets but he wants no part of anything. I have even had to give him food from a syringe a few times already because he's starting to get skinny & weak, he was small to start. UGHHHH. I'm so hoping it is the weather :confused:.

Our Faly has been acting differently all winter as well. I'm hoping it's the same situation. When we give him a nice warm shower, he perks right up. He seems to need a lot more humidity than our other panthers. This is also our first winter with our chameleons, so this is all new for us.

I have a ultrasonic humidifer on my female Jackson 12 hours a day with humidity at 45% almost 50 and she is eating like a pig. I am actually gonna cut her food back as I feel she is getting FAT.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom