I've just become a Chameleon step-dad

I’ve got a 48” quad T5 fixture, so no need to worry about too much light...

Not sure I follow you on the basking bulb. Explain?

I believe he is wondering if too much light (too many lumens, I suppose?) could be bad for a chameleon. In which case he'd set up an infra-red or ceramic heat bulb vs. a visible-light emitting basking lamp.

My answer to this, and I'm sure most others would agree is, it doesn't matter how much or how bright your lights are (nothing compares to the sun) because you should absolutely have shaded areas (ideally created by foliage) for the chameleon to retreat behind regardless of how much light you have.

I believe he is wondering if too much light (too many lumens, I suppose?) could be bad for a chameleon. In which case he'd set up an infra-red or ceramic heat bulb vs. a visible-light emitting basking lamp.

My answer to this, and I'm sure most others would agree is, it doesn't matter how much or how bright your lights are (nothing compares to the sun) because you should absolutely have shaded areas (ideally created by foliage) for the chameleon to retreat behind regardless of how much light you have.
Yes, this is what I was wondering about. Thank you.

I’ve got a 48” quad T5 fixture, so no need to worry about too much light...

Not sure I follow you on the basking bulb. Explain?
Dang. Do you run all 4 with uvb bulbs?

I run a 61” quad t5 above my reef tank, but with a mix of different bulbs based on the needs of the inhabitants.

No, 1 uvb and three 6500k grow lights
Well I took your advice on the basking light. Removed that interior keyless lamp and routed out two holes on top to inset two can lights. Gives the inside a much cleaner look, but outside it’s a little unsightly. The unit is 7 feet tall, so you don’t see them when you’re standing near the Viv, but when I walk into the room it’s the first thing I see. But I’m happy knowing I maybe dodged a bullet. I’m notorious for learning things the hard way. Thanks for the heads up.

I think I’ll build a 6” wall around the top to just extend that crown molding up a bit and it’ll look good. Of course I’m also going to use the hi-vis black aluminum screen over all the holes.

Also got some more goodies in. Including this 6 gallon reservoir with pump mounts on top.
F9576A48-F6BF-455F-A179-5503577D7DE8.jpeg
B68E22C1-9672-4DF0-B8DA-3F0091E502EE.jpeg
3D4D5270-6E44-4BBB-99AB-937D6A65DCAC.jpeg
43BF1545-2CE5-4877-B7CB-FEFA5406A710.jpeg
F384A8CE-D16D-469E-A73F-77C2A167CB80.jpeg
608D4DE9-6875-44EC-A653-24CE5EECACEA.jpeg

Damnit, now you got me wanting to go completely overhaul Roux’s viv! Lol

I was just about to suggest some type of divider to block the cans, damn fine job!

Damnit, now you got me wanting to go completely overhaul Roux’s viv! Lol

I was just about to suggest some type of divider to block the cans, damn fine job!
Thanks. I’ve still got a lot of work to do. Cable management is going to be a headache. Gotta trim the windows, screen the doors and plumb the mister. That’s about the time she’ll want to take over. She likes the dirt and plants and whatnot.

Thanks. I’ve still got a lot of work to do. Cable management is going to be a headache. Gotta trim the windows, screen the doors and plumb the mister. That’s about the time she’ll want to take over. She likes the dirt and plants and whatnot.
The messy part is the fun part!
So, water management, what type of drainage system do you have? Classic bucket?

The messy part is the fun part!
So, water management, what type of drainage system do you have? Classic bucket?
Yeah. Shower drain into a bucket for now. I could fairly easily plumb it into the basement, but we aren’t completely sure about the placement, so I’m holding off on that.

Well I took your advice on the basking light. Removed that interior keyless lamp and routed out two holes on top to inset two can lights. Gives the inside a much cleaner look, but outside it’s a little unsightly. The unit is 7 feet tall, so you don’t see them when you’re standing near the Viv, but when I walk into the room it’s the first thing I see. But I’m happy knowing I maybe dodged a bullet. I’m notorious for learning things the hard way. Thanks for the heads up.

I think I’ll build a 6” wall around the top to just extend that crown molding up a bit and it’ll look good. Of course I’m also going to use the hi-vis black aluminum screen over all the holes.

Also got some more goodies in. Including this 6 gallon reservoir with pump mounts on top.
View attachment 255416View attachment 255417View attachment 255418View attachment 255419View attachment 255420View attachment 255421

That background looks fantastic! awesome job :)

Unfortunately I think you will find that it will be quite difficult to keep the attached moss alive. With a basking lamp, the environment inside chameleon enclosures isn't very supportive of moss growing on sides, even if you mist regularly to keep the humidity up. I really do hope yours is an exception and you find success keeping it alive.

I also still have concerts about your chameleon getting burned from the lights, despite having now placed them "outside" the enclosure, as they look to be placed very close to the backwall. Chameleons will have absolutely no problem climbing up that wall. On occasion I have found my chameleon climbing up far smoother walls in my enclosures.

Lastly, did you not intend to mount any plants on your background? Asking because you did not attach any pots which is something commonly done with custom backgrounds. It looks stunning, nonetheless.

That background looks fantastic! awesome job :)

Unfortunately I think you will find that it will be quite difficult to keep the attached moss alive. With a basking lamp, the environment inside chameleon enclosures isn't very supportive of moss growing on sides, even if you mist regularly to keep the humidity up. I really do hope yours is an exception and you find success keeping it alive.

I also still have concerts about your chameleon getting burned from the lights, despite having now placed them "outside" the enclosure, as they look to be placed very close to the backwall. Chameleons will have absolutely no problem climbing up that wall. On occasion I have found my chameleon climbing up far smoother walls in my enclosures.

Lastly, did you not intend to mount any plants on your background? Asking because you did not attach any pots which is something commonly done with custom backgrounds. It looks stunning, nonetheless.

All of the attached moss is dried. It’s purely for aesthetic purposes. We just used a little bit of the flukers green moss to break up some of the dead brown look.

We incorporated 7-8 planting locations into the open tops of the cork rounds. It’s hard to see in the pics, but most of those cork rounds are 4”-6” diameter. One of them is about 8”. Much nicer, bigger pieces than I expected. I actually have a bunch left over. All the red circles can accommodate plants.

8C2D2B66-2C9B-47DC-8003-A632E15A2A85.jpeg

As for the lights, if he were to crawl upside down on the ceiling, he still couldn’t get as close to the bulb as he can/does in his current enclosure. I’m going to start out with a lower wattage bulb, monitor temps and go from there.

Everything definitely looks smaller/closer than it really is. The 10ft. ceilings and 8ft. windows probably contribute to that. The interior of the enclosure is roughly 5ft tall, 50in. wide and 2ft. deep.

Last edited:
All of the attached moss is dried. It’s purely for aesthetic purposes. We just used a little bit of the flukers green moss to break up some of the dead brown look.

That's awesome. I need to get myself some of that. I figured all moss would turn yellow once it dries out. Is it artificially colored?

We incorporated 7-8 planting locations into the open tops of the cork rounds. It’s hard to see in the pics, but most of those cork rounds are 4”-6” diameter. One of them is about 8”. Much nicer, bigger pieces than I expected. I actually have a bunch left over. All the red circles can accommodate plants.

Even better than foaming in pots. Much more natural look the way you did it.

Everything definitely looks smaller/closer than it really is. The 10ft. ceilings and 8ft. windows probably contribute to that. The interior of the enclosure is roughly 5ft tall, 50in. wide and 2ft. deep.

I'll take your word for it. The lights looked like they were right next to the background in one photo you posted but I know 2D photos can be very deceiving. Can't wait to see the rest of your build.

That's awesome. I need to get myself some of that. I figured all moss would turn yellow once it dries out. Is it artificially colored?

Even better than foaming in pots. Much more natural look the way you did it.

I'll take your word for it. The lights looked like they were right next to the background in one photo you posted but I know 2D photos can be very deceiving. Can't wait to see the rest of your build.
Ever considered resurrection ferns in place of moss?

Ever considered resurrection ferns in place of moss?
I've never done this before, so I'm sure the multitude of things I haven't considered is endless.

My wife has done more research than I have when it comes to plants. I do believe ferns are in the plan. She already has 6-8 plants ready to go in this thing. I'll have to check my list one more time to make sure I haven't forgotten anything, but substrate could be going in as soon as this evening.

Ok, I was mistaken. She's making me do the planting too...

I got the mister up and running, but need more nozzles. Ordered those today. Got some plants and vines in, but he needs more climbing/basking options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom