I've just become a Chameleon step-dad

I'll take your word for it. The lights looked like they were right next to the background in one photo you posted but I know 2D photos can be very deceiving. Can't wait to see the rest of your build.
I definitely take any criticisms/warnings into consideration. I would move the lights if I had to, although that would be a real pain at this stage. The openings are fairly close to the wall, but the bulbs are several inches up into the openings. Yesterday I put one 60watt and one 75watt bulb in to take some temps. With a 75watt bulb it could up to about 90 degrees and with a 60watt about 85degrees. This would be what he is exposed to if he were to climb upside down on the light screen and bask in that position.

Now I'm concerned about not having enough heat on the branches below. I may try 100watt bulb, but I'm afraid that may be hot enough to burn him should he decide to bask upside down on the ceiling.

Last edited:
Cletus has been in his new home for the last few days and he seems to be doing well. Better than ever actually. He’s spent a lot of time exploring and picking out his favorite basking spots. He’s a lot less lethargic than he was in his little screen enclosure. Very happy with the way this is turning out.

@Sarah021828 picked up some pods to put in there, and I’m still waiting for some mister nozzles to arrive. I also think I will add a fogger to maintain night time humidity, but I’ll decide that for sure after running a hygrometer for a little while and get some night time humidity readings. Seems to be holding right around 50% during the day with a few mistings.

The sticks and vines are sort of a temporary situation while we find some nice sized driftwood or grapevines to really get a natural looking network for him.
ED955F99-8490-4CEE-989A-19A41937FC8F.jpeg

Since it's been a little over a year, I figured I'd post an update. This has been the single best thing we could have possibly done for Chemelon keeping. It's been super low maintenance and keeps his environment very consistently ideal.

The pathos we planted kinda took over, making it difficult for the lower plants to thrive. Eventually we just let nature take it's course and it worked out great. We don't have the diversity of plants that we originally intended, but the pathos really filled up the cage with a substantial network of vines and branches. All we have to do it keep his water reservoir filled about once a months and everything else just sort of takes care of itself.

One thing I was concerned about was drainage. I have found that the drainage provision really isn't necessary. Even when misting heavily, water never collects enough to run out of the drain. If I had it to do over again, I would still implement some sort of drain, but I think you're fine without one.

I also don't think the fans are necessary, but still nice to have in case you need to drop the temp or add ventilation. I haven't found that to be the case.

I 'll follow this up with some pics when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom