It's been a long road, but today was a good day

Jen0413

Ever since Espio got really sick at the end of last year it has been a long road. He overcame whatever infection had taken hold of him with a ridiculous amount of antibiotics, but has lost control of his tongue. It doesn't hang out or anything and he can move it around inside of his mouth, but he can't shoot it out in typical chameleon fashion. Since all the blood work and xrays came back normal the vet says he must have injured it somehow when sick. He said in time it may fix itself or he may never be able to use it again. Without his tongue he has had a hard time eating and lost weight. I give him a variety of superworms, silkworms, hornworms, and crickets with their legs cut off so they cant escape. He tries to eat but he can't seem to get them at an angle where he can keep them in his mouth. I can sometimes get him to eat/drink bug juice I make from him. We have a check up in a couple of weeks and I'm worried he will have lost weight and may have a calcium deficiency. I keep up with his dusting, calcium w/o d3 daily, calcium w/ d3 once every 2 weeks, and reptivite once every 2 weeks. But since he doesn't eat very much he doesn't get many of the supplements in him.

BUT all that aside, today has been a great day and I just wanted to share! I sat outside with Espio for an hour today in the sunshine and he loved it. During that time I got him to eat 4 large superworms all coated in calcium and he also ate a couple pieces of orange. It doesn't seem like an amazing meal, but for us it was astounding! I took some pictures of him enjoying the weather! Keep us in your thoughts and hope for many more days like today!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 173
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 175
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 194
  • FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 170
  • FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 127
Hey Jen0413,
Sounds like your doing a great job with Espio. It's hard to see your Cham loose use of its tongue, sometimes it does come back .It looks like the weather is breaking in Colorado . Try to spend more time outside, Chams love real sunshine! This may also help.
Get well soon Espio!
Dave

Good luck with Espio and hopefully it WILL recover at least a little bit more if not fully ^^ I will keep you guys on my wish list. <3

Back
Top Bottom