It's been 4 days since he's eaten...

montymontgomery

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Jackson's Chameleon, M, unsure of age (juvenile, 5-6 inches). I got him on Friday Sept. 22nd.
  • Handling - So far, just to put him in his enclosure. Don't want to stress him out.
  • Feeding - Crickets. I put 5 in his enclosure this morning. So far, 7 every other day is my plan. Gut-loading with carrots, collared greens, oranges, mustard greens, papaya.
  • Supplements - Zoo med calcium without d3
  • Watering - Misting with water bottle 6-7 times per day. Mist until leaves are dripping. I saw my cham open his mouth one time after I misted, but he almost exclusively drinks from a dish.
  • Fecal Description - White urates, almost black feces. Defecated 3 times that I've seen
  • History - The pet store in which I obtained him from had an ignorant employee who told me it was OK to handle him daily (no!) as she was doing so (ah!)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 36" Tall, 16" diameter (circle enclosure)
  • Lighting - Standard UVB and heating lamp. Was outside (as seen in pictures) but it was too dang hot
  • Temperature - Temperatures range from 80-70 morning-night.
  • Humidity - Stays around 60-70
  • Plants - Mix of live and fake. One fake branch & vine. One Philodendron Cordatum & stick from outside.
  • Placement - In front of a window on a table
  • Location - Tallahassee, Fl.
img_0855-jpg.191162
img_0857-jpg.191163
img_0846-jpg.191164

Current Problem - I posted previously (and got some helpful answers and advice) however the "wait it out" method doesn't seem to be working, I'm growing more and more terrified for my Monty's health! He is very upset with my existence, extremely stressed out. Hides when he see's me. Opened his mouth and checked me when I tried to feed him, walks away ignoring the cricket in my hand because he's too scared of my hand to eat. So I drop crickets in his cage, and he doesn't bother them. He's eaten 3 in the past 5 days, 1 from my hand and 2 from the cage walls. He wasn't drinking at all until I brought a bowl in front of him. He grabbed it and drank for a few seconds, then walked away from me. So, he's not too scared to drink, but he is too scared to eat. He's skin and bones right now. I'm growing so frustrated and sad, I see all of you with loving chameleons that have energetic personalities & my jackson just wants NOTHING to do with me, and is on a suicide mission.

You can try putting a cricket between his teeth while his mouth is opening and shutting when he drinks.
Has he eaten anything at all?

You can try putting a cricket between his teeth while his mouth is opening and shutting when he drinks.
Has he eaten anything at all?

I've discovered that if I put the food on the wall to climb near him, he'll eat. Got him to eat 3 crickets today :) Things are coming together, he just needs minimal interaction with me right now. Thanks for your response!

Back
Top Bottom