Itchy eye

Haze1981

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Yemen chameleon, roughly 6 months old.
Handling - Not handled yet only to put him in his new home.
Feeding - We are feeding crickets that are gut loaded and dusted with nutrobal. He has about 5 or 6. They are put in his enclosure in the morning.
Supplements - Dusted with nutrobal.
Watering - We have a little dripper running all day and he is misted twice a day. We don't see him drinking much he normally sits on the top leaves and drinks straight from the drop off the top.
Fecal Description - Dropping are brown and white and they have not been tested for parasites.
History - I have not had any problems but we have only had him 2 weeks.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage Medium 40x40x76cm
Lighting - He has a basking bulb and a reptisun 5.0 bulb
Temperature - Temp is 18 degrees on the cage floor and 29.5 degrees at the top.
Humidity - Humidity is generally around 45 to 50%. I spray regally and I have real plants in the enclosure.
Plants - I have ficus and umbrella plants.
Placement - The cage is in the corner of my living room and the top if the cage is above eye level.
Location - England

Current Problem - The last couple of days I have noticed that my little man has been rubbing his eyes on branches and sometimes he closes his right eye. But he can keep it open ok. They do not appear to be swollen. We have only had him a few weeks and he has been ok. He is eating fine and doesn't seem dehydrated. He has not had a shed yet could he be coming up for that? Any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Sorry to hear your little one is having problems with his eyes. First off I wouldn't be using nutrabol every day. It contains d3 and shouldn't be given daily. I use it once every 7-10 days. In between I use Komodo cricket dust which is plain calcium, nothing added. I use this daily. There many on the market so you can make your own choice. The eye problem could be caused by many things. Try upping his misting as they wash their eyes during misting. Are your lights too bright? Can he hid from them? You could put him on a plant, put it in them shower and allow the warm spray splash off them walls and not directly on him. Do this for 15-20 mins. Good luck:)

I don't use Nutrobal every day as i have since read the ingredients and saw it had d3. I use plain calcium though. I will try upping the misting to see if that helps thank you. I am not sure but I think he might also be shedding. He doesn't like me near his cage at the moment. He displays dark colours when ever i go near and it is not like I am going to hold him (and we haven't tried to) I am just providing him with food and water. Thank you for your input. He is also able to escape from the light if he wants to there are plenty of shading spots. This is our 1st chameleon so I am still unsure on things. Like all my animals I just want to do what is right by him.

Back
Top Bottom