It happened...

Yeah I have to agree with James, I also defended you saying I do the same thing but like James said we don’t go far from our widow so we can still keep an eye out. My guys are on hanging pots so if they want down to the ground they will have to throw themselves off a pot. It just seems like now that you are trying to lose him intentionally
I was at a window not 10 feet away... He just made a run for it, and by the time I looked up he wasn't there... Like i said he didn't go far at all, which you can see in the pics.

I'm lowkey broke right now, can't afford to build an outdoor enclosure.
I think you guys will understand why I leave him outside unsupervised when you see the 14 foot walls that surround the tiny yard... Wait for the pics. My main concern is birds, which is why i got scared. but I live in a city, where there are rarely even crows.
Ok that is totally understandable... Then find a chair and sit OUTSIDE with him. It is that easy. In my OPINION y'all are nuts just leaving them out unsupervised... Anything could happen to them. It is not just predators their natural instinct is to go and explore their new world. With you there he is going to be less likely to try to wander away because your watching him.

Ok that is totally understandable... Then find a chair and sit OUTSIDE with him. It is that easy. In my OPINION y'all are nuts just leaving them out unsupervised... Anything could happen to them. It is not just predators their natural instinct is to go and explore their new world. With you there he is going to be less likely to try to wander away because your watching him.

No no, I tell my guy to stay right there. He's a good chameleon. You all just have no-good bad chameleons. Maybe raise your animals better, you have to be the leader

Matter of fact I'm sitting on a chair outside with him right now :)

Yes I know this thread is a touch old but I have lost my chams alot while free ranging.

We once lost jasmine who was in her indoor free range but then walked down and walked straight through the door. It took us 3hrs to find her. there have been many more times also. But if anyone ends up losing it again then my reccomendation is too look at night because they are inn theyre sleepy colors.

Also we used to have free ranges interlocking with their cages and we'dleave them open and then go somewhere. We'd come back and find jasper on the cords. The scariest thing that happened was jasper escaped from his interlocking cage and walked across to jasmins cage. Luckily it was closed but jasmine ran to the bottom of the cage, black and mouth open, and she charged at him. They had a battle through the glass. That's why I stopped using the interlocking free range with multiple chameleons. Now thwy have separate trees far away from eachother and are never out of their cages without supervision. Learn from your mistakes but it can be too late because it's very easy for them to get permanently lost

As for outdoor free rnages, they have separate little setups (2-3 trees connected with sticks and vines) that are far away from eachother and are under constant supervision.Sometimes they will get the urge to explore and start to climb down the trunks. What I do in this situation is I let them do theyre thing and see what it does. If it starts going for the shrubs, then i pick him/her up and either put her/him back in their free range, in a different place (eg. my hand or a chair) or just put them back in their cage.

My point isn don't let multiple chameleons free range at once because it will get too hard to manage.

Yes I know this thread is a touch old but I have lost my chams alot while free ranging.

We once lost jasmine who was in her indoor free range but then walked down and walked straight through the door. It took us 3hrs to find her. there have been many more times also. But if anyone ends up losing it again then my reccomendation is too look at night because they are inn theyre sleepy colors.

Also we used to have free ranges interlocking with their cages and we'dleave them open and then go somewhere. We'd come back and find jasper on the cords. The scariest thing that happened was jasper escaped from his interlocking cage and walked across to jasmins cage. Luckily it was closed but jasmine ran to the bottom of the cage, black and mouth open, and she charged at him. They had a battle through the glass. That's why I stopped using the interlocking free range with multiple chameleons. Now thwy have separate trees far away from eachother and are never out of their cages without supervision. Learn from your mistakes but it can be too late because it's very easy for them to get permanently lost
let me make this clear that this was about a year ago and I was not on this forum yet

Learn from your mistakes but it can be too late because it's very easy for them to get permanently lost
Not trying to be a smartass... I'd seriously like to know, how do folks who've lost them more than once reconcile this?

I've made my share (or more) of mistakes with pets, but I can't say I've made the same mistakes (especially any that could wind up tragically) more than once.

If your someone who lost a chameleon, then you lose another one, You probably shouldnt keep a cham
OK. I was thinking about your statement:
Whether multiple chams or the same one, once wasn't enough? :unsure:
Again, I'm trying to understand.

I nearly lost a green anole once because I took it out of its enclosure while the dog (this was 40 years ago) wasn't behind a door or crated. It jumped off my hand, and was halfway down Bowser's throat when I managed to get ahold of it by the base of the tail and pull it out. Miraculously, no damage, but it scared me badly enough that I've never taken a small animal out again without first crating the dog—even the dogs that wouldn't hurt a fly.

Can't blame the animals; like the scorpion said, "It's in my nature." :rolleyes:

I have lost my chams alot while free ranging.
I worded that wrong. usually when I say "lost" I mean we look at the tree and cant find him/her. Then, after 10-60 seconds of searching we find them either still in their tree or a couple metres away from the tree or halfway down the trunk. (there has been only one occasion of a long term loss - 3hrs.)

I understand what you're saying by "wasn't once enough" BUT just because we've had these little scary moments and that one big one dosen't mean that i'm gonna stop free-ranging my chams. I mean there are obviously so many reasons why6 it's good to free range chams (especially outside) and the owner accepts the risk of losing it.

After we found jasmine, my mindset WASN'T "Oh my god we're never letting her free range again"
My mindset WAS "ok we lost jasmine. Free ranging is good for chameleons so i'm going to reflect on my mistakes and try again." Obviously there's a risk but I am willing to take that risk of letting them free range.

Hope you understand better

Hope you understand better
Thank you, I think I do; I just don't think I could accept that risk. Different life experiences (and 40+ years of a lot of veterinarians & other animal professionals in the social circle).
I do take small animals out for enrichment, but the dog is always crated or behind a door.
Believe it or don't, the Missus is even more circumspect than I am. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom