Issues with egg laying

esponda55

Hello I really need some help with my veiled chameleon. This is the first time she lays eggs and I'm not sure what is happening. I acquired her in January and she was a baby so I'm guessing she is about a year old. As mentioned, she is a veiled chameleon. I noticed her going in circles in her cage about a week ago but saw her actually trying to dig yesterday. I bought a bucket and dirt from Petco and placed her inside yesterday. She was in there for about three hours. I saw her staring to dig as soon as I put her in and by night time she was out of the hole she dug and trying to climb out. I thought she was done so I put her back into her regular cage. The problem now is that she is still really round and I only found one egg in the dirt. I really doubt she was only carrying one egg because she's still huge. I'm afraid I may have waited too long. I put her back in the bucket this morning and will leave her there most of the day. I started a hole for her so she won't use up more energy digging too much. At what point should I take her to the vet? Is it likely that she will lay the rest of her eggs herself? Any advice or interpretations of the situation will be greatly appreciated.

if she only liad one egg, she has more to go.
you cant let her see you watchin gher or she will stop diggin.
i would give her today to see how she does.
also take a couple pics and post here.
but i wouldnt wait too long to take her to the vet, if she becomes egg boundm she could die.
good luck!

Hello I really need some help with my veiled chameleon. This is the first time she lays eggs and I'm not sure what is happening. I acquired her in January and she was a baby so I'm guessing she is about a year old. As mentioned, she is a veiled chameleon. I noticed her going in circles in her cage about a week ago but saw her actually trying to dig yesterday. I bought a bucket and dirt from Petco and placed her inside yesterday. She was in there for about three hours. I saw her staring to dig as soon as I put her in and by night time she was out of the hole she dug and trying to climb out. I thought she was done so I put her back into her regular cage. The problem now is that she is still really round and I only found one egg in the dirt. I really doubt she was only carrying one egg because she's still huge. I'm afraid I may have waited too long. I put her back in the bucket this morning and will leave her there most of the day. I started a hole for her so she won't use up more energy digging too much. At what point should I take her to the vet? Is it likely that she will lay the rest of her eggs herself? Any advice or interpretations of the situation will be greatly appreciated.

Just put her in and leave her be. The more you check on her and she she's you she could abandon the holes completely and like camimom said, she could become egg bound. Some girls can dig for a few days but I wouldn't wait too long to hit up a vet if she hasn't laid by maybe Sunday.

I have her in my room. I live in an apartment so that's the most privacy I can provide her. I went in once since putting her in and she's continuing the hole I started. What do I feed her when she's done? Do I need to remove her every night? Should I expect her to eat if she's not done laying?

I have her in my room. I live in an apartment so that's the most privacy I can provide her. I went in once since putting her in and she's continuing the hole I started. What do I feed her when she's done? Do I need to remove her every night? Should I expect her to eat if she's not done laying?

Give her a big drink when she's done and offer a few dusted crickets. Keep her in there until the deed is done. I wouldn't keep removing her.

Do not let her see you watching her when she is digging. IMHO its best that she stay in the laying bin until she lays the eggs....which is why I use a 65 liter rubbermaid container that she can't get out of since it has a modified lid on it. (Modified...large area of the lid is cut away and replaced with screen.

Back
Top Bottom