Issue at night with Humadity and Temperature!!!! New at Chameleoing :D

endora

Hi,
I am new into all this, just recently last week i have purchased my first ever Reptile Veiled (Yemen) Chameleon. I know they dont require high Humadity during the day, however during the day its easier to obtain higher Humadity then at nights here in Germany! So my issue isnt really during the day, during the day i think its perfect with mist and rain i can achieve any type of results from temp 29,30,31,32,33 which i guess is perfect for them, and humadity from 50 to 70-80% . My issue starts at nights or atleast now, got device inside, and near PC device that shows me Humadity while mist is aswell running best i could achieve was 45-46% i am using Screen as cage 60x45x90 its i guess perfect size cage, i am also using decent mist machine (Hobby Hygro System from amazon it pushes nice amount of mist highly doubt any would be better. It costed me 58 euro and it can automaticly turn off when no watter and i can change diffrent types of mist higher or lower! Aswell times when it should run!
So yeah to return to topic i wanna ask for advice of how can i actually obtain higher Humadity and is it actually needed? Also Temperature to lower to atleast 20, its kind of hard as in room is currently 28.2 and device is showing that temp in cage is 25.6c I invested around 600 euros into all this, i've heard plants can help however so far i got only 1 real plant in cage (scheffler) or something like that i wanted to also buy Ficus (Benjamin) as i like how it spreads and i want to make real jungle feel inside! For him better, also for look while watching at him, its relaxing!
I really struggle to understand how can i improve those things, can plants actually help me or not? i've bought aswell fake plants 2x packs of lots of things,however not sure if it helps anything but would really appriciate any advice i wanna reach perfection for him, so there is no problems later, bought also strip so everything is controlled through phone automaticly at some hours each power is seperated rain, lights,mist, however i am not sure of timings i should run all that... but mostly i wanna know about nights cause from reading through forums, people like to reach atleast 70% humadity at nights, while for me currently that seems impossible mission! Is rain aswell needed inside ongoing while he's sleeping cuz i feel it would wake him up..
While i am writting this i see humadity at 47% however that still is low and its currently 2:48 AM. I am going through google and forums to see what can be changed and done better, i'll invest cash its not problem. I'll upload some photos aswell of him sleeping, aswell of how i did most of things video if its possible here, so you can tell me is this good or it could be better. I want clean look and to be actually functional for him... it might be to clean, however yea, also to point out since i'll be posting video, i'll change UVB lamp to another that goes above cage, this is only current one that i mistakenly orderd, however if it gets colder to much i guess i could use it depending on nights, however i dont think in apartment it will ever drop bellow 15, but for safety precautions i'll have it ready!
Do you guys think 1 more plant would solve this issue? or what can be done.
I am sorry for so much text and for misspells my english isnt the best.
I wanted to give as much informations as possible, so you could understand my situation as best as possible... If i missed anything, please correct me down, and i'll fullfill in reply! Cheers to you all Chameleon Lovers! :D
Video of my Chameleon:

Attachments

• 291082929_723329402217171_1926119905466745263_n.jpg
    291082929_723329402217171_1926119905466745263_n.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I used to use screen cages but it's had to get and keep it high at night. Now I make all my cages. For screen cage once I blocked sides and back on the outside of cage it fixed it. I only mist for a total of 2 minutes at night and stay at 80 to 90. It does goto 100 but drops. Try those window kits should work out for you. I don't fog at all don't really need to for me. Here a pic of my cages. It's old pic. Live plants also help

Attachments

• 20220308_111508.jpg
    20220308_111508.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 76
I used to use screen cages but it's had to get and keep it high at night. Now I make all my cages. For screen cage once I blocked sides and back on the outside of cage it fixed it. I only mist for a total of 2 minutes at night and stay at 80 to 90. It does goto 100 but drops. Try those window kits should work out for you. I don't fog at all don't really need to for me. Here a pic of my cages. It's old pic. Live plants also help
I might even get that screen yea it could help, since its i guess visible inside and with that.. so still fine i guess.. other two sides i dont think i need it since bambo tingy is really tight, and there is no chance for anything to pass through..thats a nice cage... however it looks fully covered.. from what i can see...
I'll definetely have to re-work some things on my screen cage cause this is a bit low humadity, so i hope that actually fixes!! thanks for suggestion...

The door and top are screen on mine. I Also do bioactive setups and that helps too. For my panthers I do 2 mist heads. For my veiled I only do one and for my parson she has 5 but I turned one off so she has 4 running. Took a little playing around to get where I wanted my levels at.

Welcome on here, you've got a real cutie! What's his name? I do see some things that need to be corrected, like his basking temp should only be 26-29°C where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch, humidity only needs to be 30-50% during the day (you can use a whole room dehumidifier placed in the room he's in, just not directly next to his cage to help lower daytime humidity), you should only fog at night when temps are at or below 18°C, and only with a cool mist fogger/humidifier, all of the fake plants need to be replaced with veiled safe ones, and the light bulb in his cage needs to be taken out and put above his cage

I put mine in front so they spray to the back of cage. Then ones in back spray to front of cage

Attachments

• 20220703_214502.jpg
    20220703_214502.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 69
Awesome cages! Did you build or buy them?

Yea I got 4 cages I made. 3 are 2x2x4 and parson in a 4x2x4 cage. Still have one screened cage veiled in. And one empty for another parson I'm getting soon

Sorry, one more thing! You also want your cage to be at least 60x60x120 cm tall or bigger for a veiled male. If you want, we can go over the rest of your husbandry to make sure everything is 100% for your little guy! Sadly, there is a lot of misinformation out there on chameleons, making it hard for new owners to get correct info

Also, 15°C is a great nighttime temp drop! Veileds can go into the 4°s and even the -1°s! @Jpeff has covered all of the humidity tips for nighttime already!

Hmm so sprayers needs to be replaced to front? that might make sense, also for mist one its not good to be in back of middle like its on my? what would be best position for misting?
temps might be hard to achieve to go that low since in germany it gets pretty hot during days, also in room there's no like fresh air ongoing its basicly next to cabinet so i think it also helps from humadity spread around outside of cage, maybe only right side needs to get covered as Jpeff said.. also i ordered a new UVB that lights and gives UVB that will go above, this is only current one that i ordered wrongly, however new one is comming tomorrow i think... and it will be replaced immidietely..
my only biggest challenge is night with temp and humidity where i have problems achieving lower temps and bigger humidity. Also plants fake ones i have are actually approved for Chameleons atleast website states that, he's enyoing his position where he's currently sleeping, he's spending most of his time there and i didn't ever seen him dark like he's unhappy or atleast from checking and reading about it. He's also very friendly even i know they dont develop any feelings, he doesnt want to bite me at all or even open his mouth at all he's very chill. however I am not sure honestly what to do beside changing position of sprayers and mist tube if that would help humidity
also windows insulation as Jpeff said on right side which i probably do miss, since i see mist at bellow goes outside mostly on that side, so it might be reason why its going out and none humidity stays in.
About fake plants possition i have seen some videos, and some people do it this way, could you suggest me any video or anything i could watch to get idea on how is the best to setup it? maybe it will help me with all since i am out of idea on how to setup it actually propertly..
Also his name is Rocky :D I got to say that he's really nice so far i thought he will be challenging and that he wont want to come in my hands i never take him i only put my hand and if he wants he will come, then i take him at windows for some sun light since i heard its also good for chameleons i leave him there and he doesn't move at all he enyoys his time at sun ....
I am not the best in understanding all things i learned all what i need through internet page where it explains what machines and so on i will need to setup it, and accordingly to that i ordered all...

Sorry, one more thing! You also want your cage to be at least 60x60x120 cm tall or bigger for a veiled male. If you want, we can go over the rest of your husbandry to make sure everything is 100% for your little guy! Sadly, there is a lot of misinformation out there on chameleons, making it hard for new owners to get correct info
Farm from which i bought cage told me 60x45x90 would be just fine for him, so i ordered accordingly to store tips, not really sure does few inches will make him such diffrences as i dont feel he lacks on space, more on humadity and temperatures at night, he seems to be kind of happy with this... he doesn't hisp or attack at all...

Also any tip is welcome i just need more information to understand it easier, since i dont understand most of things being said :D i want to learn all within time

also he's well above ground basicly i am 1,95 and when i am standing i am watching him directly, and mostly in that room i am sitting.. just to point that out

Back
Top Bottom