Isopods - where and what to buy?

Lathis

Chameleon Enthusiast
I am on the hunt for alternate food for the pickiest eater I have ever met. After my husband is taken care of (snap!), I am also looking for other types of feeders for my subadult Jax.

If it doesn't crunch or fly, Ferdinand isn't interested. I trick him with a superworm every great once in a while, but he turns up his nose at hornworms entirely and my last batch of silkworms all went to waste - he wouldn't even look at the moths. I would like to find something besides crickets and BB flies that he enjoys.

For the moment, dubia are off the table. It's the "cockroach" thing... I'm working on the hubby, but it will take some time... Although I might buy some banana roaches and tell him they are "katydids" :D

I have found some places that sell small batches of isopods. I want something in the about 3/4" range.

Any recommendations on isopod vendors and species?

Small Pet Feeders has some orange isopods that are on the large size at around 1/2-3/4" or so. They're called "Giant Spanish" Orange Isopods.

I am on the hunt for alternate food for the pickiest eater I have ever met. After my husband is taken care of (snap!), I am also looking for other types of feeders for my subadult Jax.

If it doesn't crunch or fly, Ferdinand isn't interested. I trick him with a superworm every great once in a while, but he turns up his nose at hornworms entirely and my last batch of silkworms all went to waste - he wouldn't even look at the moths. I would like to find something besides crickets and BB flies that he enjoys.

For the moment, dubia are off the table. It's the "cockroach" thing... I'm working on the hubby, but it will take some time... Although I might buy some banana roaches and tell him they are "katydids" :D

I have found some places that sell small batches of isopods. I want something in the about 3/4" range.

Any recommendations on isopod vendors and species?

Can't give you any info on supplier that is not a site sponsor but if you pm me I can give you a fantastic source of isopods and blue bottle flys
Steve
It is against site rules to post non sponsor suppliers

I am on the hunt for alternate food for the pickiest eater I have ever met. ...

dont get the small tropical ones. Other than that there's very little difference. I just collected wild ones and used them to form a colony.
this place sells them:
http://www.nilesbio.com/prod95.html
Im sure there are others. maybe one of these: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/171-where-buy-feeders-online.html

you might consider land snails also.

Is it? I dont read the rules to mean that.
We can advertise or make complaints about businesses, but I think we're allowed to mention various suppliers.

I posted a non sponsor supplier in the past and the post was deleted, a mod later told me why so I am careful not to make the same mistake twice. I could be wrong but that is what I was told.

dont get the small tropical ones. Other than that there's very little difference. I just collected wild ones and used them to form a colony.
this place sells them:
http://www.nilesbio.com/prod95.html
Im sure there are others. maybe one of these: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/171-where-buy-feeders-online.html

you might consider land snails also.

This site is fantastic. I just ordered up some isopods, thanks for the link! Any care tips Sandra?

what a cool selection of organisms that site offers! The have the same snails I am raising (only for Californians though w/o a USDA permit).

I am going to order snails and isopods. Thanks for the info everyone (Sandra, your blogs are an amazing resource).

I tricked Ferdie with a superworm this morning. He looked at me with his big gold eyes like "I trusted you and you LIED TO ME". It was pitiful :)

Attachments

• 3qfv7l.jpg
    3qfv7l.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 159
I was wondering the same thing. The snails have different classes to and I dont know what it means.

Could just be the number of creatures per package. Maybe you should phone and ask them? (916) 386-2665

I've never ordered snails or isopods from there (or anywhere, since I used wild ones to start my colonies).

Update: giant orange isopods are doing great. I lifted up an old leaf in the bin and was surprised by DOZENS of tiny new rollie pollies! Still letting the colony get established before I start feeding anyone off, so it will be a few months. I've got a tiny gnat problem, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

The "green banana beetles" ;) aren't doing so well. I don't think it is warm enough for them, so I am going to reevaluate my care.

I ended up with the tan sow bugs from double D's. My boys love them. I actually have springtails in the soil and haven't had any gnats or mold.

Update: giant orange isopods are doing great. I lifted up an old leaf in the bin and was surprised by DOZENS of tiny new rollie pollies! Still letting the colony get established before I start feeding anyone off, so it will be a few months. I've got a tiny gnat problem, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

The "green banana beetles" ;) aren't doing so well. I don't think it is warm enough for them, so I am going to reevaluate my care.

How big are the giant orange ones? The tan ones i got really aren't that big.

I should get some springtails.

Giant is a relative term. My adults are about 1/2 inch long.

Back
Top Bottom