isopod, springtails, and bioactive substrate

jackthejellydragon

Avid Member
I have been wanting to start a bioactive isopod and springtail culture. I have a few questions before I start though. I am wondering what kind of isopod would be good in a hot roach bin or in a 72 to 75 degree house or better yet both. I am going to start a culture and start by putting it in a plastic bin with bioactive substrate. I am looking to start an isopod and springtail culture and need to know what things I need to make the substrate and how to make it. What kind of care do the isopods need such as temp, humidity, and what to feed them ,and how should I setup the bin. I am looking for all the information to start and take care of an isopod culture so any other tips I highly appreciate. Thank you for all the help.:)

I have been needing to do this for a while and I watched a few videos , one of which was snake discovery and that seemed to be pretty good.

@jamest0o0 is the best to advise on keeping isos. However, I keep dwarf white isos and what I assume are temperate springtails in my roach bins with success. I use a mix of coco coir and organic soil with a little horticultural charcoal mixed in. They do great at whatever temps I keep my roaches, which is 80’s to 90’s. I just make sure the soil stays lightly moistened for the cuc. I have a bin of only giant canyon isos that I do the same for, except they have a good 4+” of substrate and more leaf litter. I feed them the same that I feed my roaches plus I have added a bit of crushed egg shell for them. They have been thriving an breeding like crazy, so I must be doing something right.

Back
Top Bottom