Is your cham a licker or a flicker?

dinomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
Watching Dino shoot his tongue at water droplets made me wonder if there are species differences in how chams drink. He (veiled) tends to almost always "shoot" while my boehmei only licks water from leaves.

The shooting looks very inefficient to me, but Dino does it very deliberately; he waits until the fine mist builds up to a drop about to fall from a leaf and then drinks. Maybe he is just lazy, he does not approach where it is since the tongue can travel the distance to it.

Anyone who keeps multiple species notice differences?

My Veileds always shot at the water. I have literally never seen one lick from a leaf or branch. When I had my Panther all he did was lick branches and leaves for the water.
Watching Dino shoot his tongue at water droplets made me wonder if there are species differences in how chams drink. He (veiled) tends to almost always "shoot" while my boehmei only licks water from leaves.

The shooting looks very inefficient to me, but Dino does it very deliberately; he waits until the fine mist builds up to a drop about to fall from a leaf and then drinks. Maybe he is just lazy, he does not approach where it is since the tongue can travel the distance to it.

I’ve only ever seen Yoshi shoot at the water

My Veileds always shot at the water. I have literally never seen one lick from a leaf or branch. When I had my Panther all he did was lick branches and leaves for the water.
That's crazy, right? Since there is no such thing as learned behavior regarding this as parents are not around to teach. Therefore it must be instinct based on the environment they evolved in.

This is so odd, my veiled only licks off the leaves and has never shot for water. I didn’t know chameleons shoot for water.

All of mine are something else. Once a long time ago, Grumpy started to gently lick a drop of water off a leaf before remembering that I might think this is cute. Since then she has been very careful to hide her drinking from me and she has somehow communicated to the others to do the same. I believe that this is a very widespread conspiracy (probably started by human-hating veileds) and is passed on thru their generations. Being a panther, Jack hadn’t yet gotten the memo and I did see him once or twice shoot his tongue at water drops, but then the others must have gotten to him.
youtube fashion GIF

That is so funny I was looking at mine today, shooting at water. & I'm just like ummmm. Lmfao
I've only seen him shoot at it

Never seen my veiled drinking, never! The Boehmei licks droplets of the leaves and branches, seen it many times. And the Jackson sticks his nose in the air and makes advantage of his horns. Droplets will build up on there during misting and roll downwards to his mouth. Where he literally sits with his mouth open and drinks (Lazy B****)

Back
Top Bottom