Is this viv good for veiled cham?

brodi

hi guys going to link a viv below here

http://www.vivexotic.co.uk/products_ax_walnut.html

this is a question for the cham guys and gals out there, is this viv any good for keeping a veiled cham in? is there enough space/ventilation etc?
was going to go with a flexi but keep getting told (by pet shops) that flexi is to hard to regulate in terms of temp/humidity.

any thoughts on the above viv i would be glad to hear

Where are you located? If your house is an ice chest, yes keeping a screen cage at the right temp will be hard...

Screen cages are perfect if for you and your cham if you keep the house at a reasonable temp. If you get cold spells in the house you can always add plastic sides to the cage to help control humidity and temps.

i live in ireland, so quite cold all of the time

just get some many conflicting options, want to get my research right and set up perfect before i get my first cham, dont want him stressed out

I would have to say no since there is poor ventilation, if you can replace the glass with screen that would be better. At LEAST one side should have screen! How would you feel in an aquarium with poor ventilation? I would feel sickly.

If you get cold spells in the house you can always add plastic sides to the cage to help control humidity and temps.

Just don't add them to the top. UVB does not go through plastic.

Us folks in the USA do have specific ideas about screened cages, however I know many of our UK friends use cages with solid sides. I think as long as the top and front is screen there will be adequate ventilation. It is important to get a thermometer and hydrometer which measures humidity. Hopefully there is enough air circulation in your home for your baby. To hook on to what Syn said, UVB does not go through glass or plastic so screen on top is necessary. Be sure to get a linear bulb. (long tube type). Congradulations on your decision to get a chameleon. They are great!

Just don't add them to the top. UVB does not go through plastic.

Syn, is right about this. Sorry I did not specify.

What temps do you keep your home at? night and day time temps...

A veiled cham can take extreme weather changes. If in the winter your home drops to about 55*F an adult veiled could handle the temp drop during the night. He/she would need to warm up in the morning via heat lamp though. In the wild they experience this sort of weather swing.

A veiled is a rough neck cham. They can take a beating. If you have a misting system, dripper, live plants, proper basking spot, good UV you should do just fine with a open screen cage. If you feel the need put plastic on the sides of the cage and maybe even the back. But as said above, you need the top to be screen and at least one side as well. I am not a fan of the fish tank style cages used in the UK, but some people manage it. Remember a veiled is from Yemen. Check the weather there.. you'll get an idea of what they go through.

Also check out Brad's site. He has good info there.

Back
Top Bottom