Is this too powerful?

poopdedoop

Hey everyone. I just picked up a new light ficture for my vield chameleon.

I got this one:

Zilla Halogen/Fluorescent Combo Dome
9775_200wh.jpg

Here'sthe details

* Both light and heat in one easy-to-use dome fixture
* Holds a Desert 50 circular lamp for high UVB output
* Focused halogen beam puts high intensity heat where you need it

Everything a reptile needs, in a dome style you trust

At last, the full range of energy a terrarium requires…from infra-red warmth through ultraviolet light…is available in a single familiar form. Simply place the Combo Dome anywhere on a terrarium screen cover to deliver heat from a high intensity halogen bulb and the health-giving light of a full-spectrum fluorescent bulb. Accommodates one R-Zilla T5 circular fluorescent lamp that delivers UVB light reptiles need for calcium development.

It's great for my set up right now because it's low profile and it has both the light and heat lamp in one. I'm just wondering if it's too much for her, if it'll be too hot.

I just got it, so I can always return it if I need to.

I dont really care for zilla products. Just an FYI, you can get a 18" fixture from walmart for $7 and a reptisun 5.0 (A much better UVB source than the zilla product) for $18 which is more than likely half what you paid for that at the pet store.

I dont really care for zilla products. Just an FYI, you can get a 18" fixture from walmart for $7 and a reptisun 5.0 (A much better UVB source than the zilla product) for $18 which is more than likely half what you paid for that at the pet store.

It was only $31CAD, which I don't think is too bad.

I'm going to be moving her into a new cage soon, and so the lamp won't be as close as it is now but I'm still a little worried about it being TOO powerful.

how big is your cage and how far away is the basking spot from the lamp?

right now it's about 12x24x12

here's a picture of it currently ( turned off the heat lamp, so right now it's just the heat from the light bulb.

Attachments

• IMGP0703.JPG
    IMGP0703.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 199

I agree with RSGriff. His suggestion would be much better for your chameleon.

Hi, you have a few other issues to be concerned about besides the light. Your cham should not be in a glass tank but a screened enclosure with some height to it, as chams need the vertical space to climb. Also the substrate can cause issues for feeding and cleaning. The bottom should be bare.

On a possitive note, the tank looks cool as a habitat for other type of reptiles just not for chameleons.

Hi, you have a few other issues to be concerned about besides the light. Your cham should not be in a glass tank but a screened enclosure with some height to it, as chams need the vertical space to climb. Also the substrate can cause issues for feeding and cleaning. The bottom should be bare.

On a possitive note, the tank looks cool as a habitat for other type of reptiles just not for chameleons.

Yeah I know. I'm actually in the process of getting something else set up for her. She'll be moved tomorrow.

Also, It may just be how she is holding on, but it looks as if she may have some of the begining signs of MBD. Get her the new cage set up asap, make sure there is a basking light that has a basking temp around the mid 80's (maybe low 80's since she is a female and you don't want eggs), make sure you are dusting your feeders daily with calcium and occasionally (2x/month) with a multivitamin and calcium w/d3... thats All I can think of for now

Also, It may just be how she is holding on, but it looks as if she may have some of the begining signs of MBD. Get her the new cage set up asap, make sure there is a basking light that has a basking temp around the mid 80's (maybe low 80's since she is a female and you don't want eggs), make sure you are dusting your feeders daily with calcium and occasionally (2x/month) with a multivitamin and calcium w/d3... thats All I can think of for now

whats MBD?

I dissaprove of the enclosure. The poor guy needs some height!!! With Chameleons, height is ALWAYS preffered. Get him in a screened cage immedately!

...I just picked up a new light ficture for my vield chameleon.

I got this one:

Zilla Halogen/Fluorescent Combo Dome
9775_200wh.jpg

Howdy David,

I'm glad that we caught this in time. I'm pretty certain that that the R-Zilla UVB products still haven't been given a "clean bill of health" yet. They've had a notrious reputation in the past as an absolutely deadly UVB source. I have seen it first-hand with their Tropical 50 linear tube and I believe that their circular tube falls into the same phosphor catagory. Until we get the "All Clear" from the UVB Guide UK site, I'd suggest that you play it safe rather than sorry and stick with the Reptisun 5.0 linear tube :eek:.

The facts can be found at: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

Info on the circular R-Zilla can be found by searching here:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/...h?query=r-zilla+circular&charset=windows-1252

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/message/5558

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/message/6082

I dissaprove of the enclosure. The poor guy needs some height!!! With Chameleons, height is ALWAYS preffered. Get him in a screened cage immedately!

I don't know if you missed my earlier post. I'm moving her to a bigger wire cage tomorrow.

Howdy David,

I'm glad that we caught this in time. I'm pretty certain that that the R-Zilla UVB products still haven't been given a "clean bill of health" yet. They've had a notrious reputation in the past as an absolutely deadly UVB source. I have seen it first-hand with their Tropical 50 linear tube and I believe that their circular tube falls into the same phosphor catagory. Until we get the "All Clear" from the UVB Guide UK site, I'd suggest that you play it safe rather than sorry and stick with the Reptisun 5.0 linear tube :eek:.

So I'm a little confused. Am I able to get a different bulb for the fixture? One that isn't damaging? Or am I going to have to get a whole new fixture? If that's the case, I don't mind. The last think I want to do is hurt my little Karma (that's her name, can you guess why?)

I guess I'll look into something else tomorrow. The problem I have is that there aren't many stores that sell stuff for lizards, Wal-Mart has nothing here, and there's only a few pet stores around. Well, the search continues.

You dont need a to buy a light fixture from the pet section. Any fixture that fits the bulb will suffice.

Like I said, go to the lighting section at walmart, they will have a under-cabinet 18" light fixture with a regular florescent bulb in it (Or you can go larger... the price of the fixture is a few bucks more but the bulbs cost the same), Just take out the bulb that is in it and replace it with the reptisun bulb you purchased from one of the site sponsors for <$20... All in all, you will have spent the same as you did on the zilla system you have now, bulbs will be easier to find and replace and you will have a proven save UVB source for your cham.

You can buy a linear tube fixture that fits whatever length T8 lamp you want to use and buy a Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 to fit it. They (Zoo Med) have sizes in the 5.0 output level in 15", 18", 24", 36" and 48" If you only have one cage buy the 18" and a fixture to go with it. Home Depot has a 24" dual T8 lamp fixture I want to get and use a 'grow' light in the second slot for my cages that are smaller or separate from other cages where I can't use a 48" over two cages side by side.

Back
Top Bottom