IS this the best I can expect? Mature colors kinda lame.

Franquixote

Established Member
It is almost exactly a year to the day when I got my panther chameleon and he was probably 2 months old or so... I don't handle him and he lives a life of ease and is never stressed so I don't think I have ever seen him "fired up".
He is given a variety of very carefully gutloaded insects and the insects get things specifically designed to pass on pigments (Repashy superpig, high quality pollen, etc.).
I also give him a variety of vitamins and supplements- I rotate between different high end manufacturers (like Arcadia, Repashy, etc.) for his basic vitamins and minerals, and try to follow instructions for how often he gets everything. The only D3 I use is the Reptomin about 1-2 times a week on one feeder.
He has high quality UV lighting from lightyourreptiles.

Pics attached. He is basically green. At night he gets some nice yellows and reds under the chin, but I feel like this is his final color and it's not IMO very interesting- I spent months looking at breeding stock and ended up with basically an iguana looking lizard.

Any decent chance he might develop some better bars or coloration?

pixel karma 2b 8 2018.jpg
pixel karma a 8 2018.jpg
pixel karma c 8 2018.jpg
: )

That's a pretty common look for many "banjas." Mine is a bit older than yours and really only colored up the last few months. I am told by those with banja experience that they often don't start coloring up until they are 18 months old. Mine also is mostly green and blue as well but he developed some nice contrast and a little yellow throughout his body as well as some red on his face. If you want something more flashy, you may wanna see if anybody has some extra ambilobes they are willing to sell/trade for. Good luck with the colors.

I mean...I guess I don't get it. I understand that you were wanting a "razzle dazzle" animal, but if he's a healthy happy animal...I would be happy with just that. Genetics are a funny thing, people can post sires and lineage and all of that, but nature will sometimes laugh at you when you expect something. I think he's a good looking guy, and think he's unique in that he doesn't quite look like all the others.

He doesn't look like an Ambanja, they tend to have slightly pointier noses. He's likely a blue bar ambilobe...maybe a late bloomer? In any case, I think he's great looking.

That's like saying you researched and paid for a bright orange Ferrari, but since your silver Prius runs fine you should be happy.
I put like $2k into this project so far, and he's not an object he's a living thing with all the attachments and responsibilities that would go along with that...trading him off for the "razzle dazzle" would involve me finding someone that is capable of giving him the same ultra-high level of care I do, plus I have kids, and that's a bad lesson to teach them (objectifying living things)- plus they are probably emotionally attached.

I understand how genetics work and there are no guarantees- my question was just if I should indeed accept the fact that I got shafted and move on, or if there is a decent chance his colors will significantly improve.

That's like saying you researched and paid for a bright orange Ferrari, but since your silver Prius runs fine you should be happy.
I put like $2k into this project so far, and he's not an object he's a living thing with all the attachments and responsibilities that would go along with that...trading him off for the "razzle dazzle" would involve me finding someone that is capable of giving him the same ultra-high level of care I do, plus I have kids, and that's a bad lesson to teach them (objectifying living things)- plus they are probably emotionally attached.

I understand how genetics work and there are no guarantees- my question was just if I should indeed accept the fact that I got shafted and move on, or if there is a decent chance his colors will significantly improve.

I wouldn't necessarily say you got shafted. I once bred two very bright, incredibly colored ambilobes together and got something similar to your male from half of the males in the clutch. I had lineage information going back 3-4 generations and all displayed high amounts of white/blues and reds. The males came out with slight yellow and mostly green. Clearly you're not happy with his look, and that's fine, I can't tell you how you should feel. at 14 months (roughly) I wouldn't him expect his coloration to change much, maybe slight darkening of bars.

dude i think he looks great, you can always get another in the future and maybe breed them? but im sorry it wasnt what you expected.

I was told HE WAS AN AMBILOBE!!!! I'm kinda pissed now. The guy I bought him from was out iWest.
In fact they just put up a website and his supposed sire is the first one on the page.
Now what?
http://www.roseexoticreptiles.com/chameleons/
Doesn’t look Ambilobe to me...
Are those sire pics on his site taken during resting colors or do they fire them up before the pic? I would think they would to enhance color. You say you’ve never seen yours fired up, grab a mirror and show him his reflection. See what happens, there may be some family resemblance in there somewhere.

Line breeding (inbreeding) that has become very common in chameleon breeding has condition people to expect the male offspring to look like the dad! How sad! The way your boy look is actually a very popular look! Despite for your dismay!

If I was you I would be patient for another eight or nine months! He is still young and can change!

One more thing, he could very well be a
Ambilobe!

Thanks guys! That's all I wanted- to accept the fact this is what he is going to look like. I can move on from there. I don't like his colors, and I'm not sure I will get another when he dies.

Isn't it kind of mean to purposely get him fired up? His whole life I have purposely done everything (besides following care instructions as perfectly as possible) to keep him calm. Is it "good" for them to get fired up once in a while?

ALSO- I already feel like he doesn't trust me (as is natural). I offer him my downturned hand at least once a day and he does not crawl on me out of his own free will so I have not tried to handle him. He occasionally gapes at me. When I put my had near him he is not phased, but I don't him to start associating me with stress.

Thoughts on this? Do I sneak up and put a mirror on a stick so he doesn't associate me with the stress, lol?

Thanks guys! That's all I wanted- to accept the fact this is what he is going to look like. I can move on from there. I don't like his colors, and I'm not sure I will get another when he dies.

Isn't it kind of mean to purposely get him fired up? His whole life I have purposely done everything (besides following care instructions as perfectly as possible) to keep him calm. Is it "good" for them to get fired up once in a while?

ALSO- I already feel like he doesn't trust me (as is natural). I offer him my downturned hand at least once a day and he does not crawl on me out of his own free will so I have not tried to handle him. He occasionally gapes at me. When I put my had near him he is not phased, but I don't him to start associating me with stress.

Thoughts on this? Do I sneak up and put a mirror on a stick so he doesn't associate me with the stress, lol?

You can buy a small bird mirror, might be a dollar or two at a pet shop. Doing it every once in a while won't kill your chameleon from stress. Have you tried hand feeding? Is there any particular feeder that he loves? Coax him with that. With all of my chameleons, hornworms were that irresistible treat that they could not say no to. Once they start shooting off your hands, it's only a matter of time before they crawl out on to your arms and try to climb your head.

I mean...I guess I don't get it. I understand that you were wanting a "razzle dazzle" animal, but if he's a healthy happy animal...I would be happy with just that. Genetics are a funny thing, people can post sires and lineage and all of that, but nature will sometimes laugh at you when you expect something. I think he's a good looking guy, and think he's unique in that he doesn't quite look like all the others.

He doesn't look like an Ambanja, they tend to have slightly pointier noses. He's likely a blue bar ambilobe...maybe a late bloomer? In any case, I think he's great looking.
I didn't get past the colors. They scream ambanja, so I didn't look closer. On second look, the nose doesn't really look ambanja. Mine has a much pointier nose like you said. Either way, I think Frank has a good looking guy and he must be taking really good care of him as he looks vibrant and healthy!

I'm not going to lie to you dude, I personally think he is a real handsome boy and that you should be happy with his colors. However, as Jan said does he go outside any? Natrual light helps them to really display color and helps it to become more vibrant. Also the change colors with age, I saw someone on here who posted their cham throughout a ten year span and it was almost like they had gotten a new one. So just be patient my dude and watch your boy grow up. Good luck!

What do you mean "mortified at the thought of seeing a threat like this in the future about my chameleon" ?

I don't "threaten" him at all, I think I made it clear that I am sacrificing any pleasure I might get out of handling him - in fact a great deal of pleasure I think is interacting with a pet- so that he is not stressed. Seems like an unfair comment, I would love to handle him but I don't because I know reptiles don't even have the capacity to feel love or derive pleasure from being handled and so I don't act selfishly and stress him out so that I can have the pleasure of handling him.
That's why I don't bring him outside, because I feel like any benefit he would gain by being outside would be outweighed by the amount of stress it would cause him.
Plus, if he bit me wouldn't it definitely break the skin and most likely require stitches?

What do you mean "mortified at the thought of seeing a threat like this in the future about my chameleon" ?

I don't "threaten" him at all, I think I made it clear that I am sacrificing any pleasure I might get out of handling him - in fact a great deal of pleasure I think is interacting with a pet- so that he is not stressed. Seems like an unfair comment, I would love to handle him but I don't because I know reptiles don't even have the capacity to feel love or derive pleasure from being handled and so I don't act selfishly and stress him out so that I can have the pleasure of handling him.
That's why I don't bring him outside, because I feel like any benefit he would gain by being outside would be outweighed by the amount of stress it would cause him.
Plus, if he bit me wouldn't it definitely break the skin and most likely require stitches?

Probably not. Chameleon bites are not usually a big deal. They barely have real teeth lol. I've only been bitten once, but it didn't even break the skin

Plus, if he bit me wouldn't it definitely break the skin and most likely require
You should definitely rethink about taking him outside i dont think it would cause much more stress then normally holding him inside they warm up to it, id get a fake tree or even a real one depending on the kind but you can just sit him out in the sunlight its really easy and they enjoy it so much mine gets really bright as soon as hes on it i leave him on the deck for a little almost everyday!

Back
Top Bottom