Is this site a joke

prices not all that unusual ?

i believe it is a legitmate site but i will investigate further. many of the prices are not that unusual. i suspect that some of the prices are due to farmed animals, for instance, its not uncommon for farmed baby jacksons baby jacksons to go for $35 each, so $25 each isnt that unbelievable, especially if they make anything on shipping. they could very well be making from $7-$17 shipping. most small animals (chams) can be shipped for $27-$38 depending on locality and shipper and thats for the one time shipper, frequent shippers could probably get a further 10-20% discount off of that, so i do suspect they are making at least a couple of $ on shipping . many of their prices are fairly normal $95+ shipping is a fairly common price for adult jacksons. fl chams was selling deremensis for $100 and they are a premium retailer (with lots of advertising), so $90 does not seem that unbelievable. i suspect that most of their animals are wc and that the ones called captive bred are actually farmed, which isnt quite the same, but i guess its a matter of definitions and point of view. you notice that most of the ones with seemingly low prices are not actually available (sold out?) it is prudent to do your homework, especially when buying from a commercial outlet, and that can be hard to do when it is a lessor known one! or there is always one way to find out, you can just spend your money and take your chances. jmo

Ive never seen this site before they have a great selection of lizards I LOVE THIS WEBSITE

Prices are fairly on target and selling caimans and alligators isn't illegal in a lot of states. They are using photos from other people though to sell their animals, including 2 of my photos. Off to write a couple threatening emails...

Chris

When I read the header for this thread I thought it was going to be a slam on the forum. However, it is nothing of the sort! Either way, I believe the prices on that web site are right on, some even seem a slight bit high.

Yes, many of the photos are from other people. I checked the gecko section and under African fat tail geckos there's a photo of a completely different species labeled as an albino fattie. It's a little riddiculous, if you ask me. If they can't even put the correct photos of the species they're selling, I dont think you can expect much from the quality of the animals.

Yeah, I agree. He had two of my photos and 1 that I recognized as from FL Chams' site. I emailed him and cced FL Chams about the pics and he's removed them but he had one of my photos labeled as a different species as well.

Chris

The picture of the graceful is from wildherps.com. Petr Necas claims the photo isnt even a graceful and that its C.quilensis. Funny eh?

Chris, many of those pictures, if not all, are from Google! I knew I recognized them from somewhere. It's too bad that it's so hard to regulate pictures on the internet.

I have to say their geckos are overpriced to hell and back, since none of them have specific pictures for each. WOW

OMG? They ship on FRIDAY????

Expected Delivery Dates
If your order was placed on... Your package will be delivered on...
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Wednesday morning before 11 A.M.
Thursday morning before 11 A.M.
Friday morning before 11 A.M.
Tuesday morning before 11 A.M.

i agree, i believe i have seen some of the pictures elsewhere as well. but that is a fairly common practice and doesnt neccessarily indicate an illigitimate site(although a less than ethical one). i believe i have also seen at least a couple of my images pirated by others on the internet, largely my fault, i never bother to watermark any of my images, but it doesnt do much good anyway, it is easy to photoshop away any sort of watermark and unless one is prepared to legally (and aggressively) pursue anyone (and everyone) who tries to pirate, efforts are largely wasted, which unfortunately is why it is such a common practice. the moral is , be wary of any source that will not send you pics of the actual specific animal involved. jmo / edit/ if you click the make money with us link, it implies that they may also drop ship animals (that they do not actually have in their possesion) for other sellers. i would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has ordered (or attempted to) from this site./ edit / i have looked up the owner of this domain and will gladly forward it to anyone who inquires, i would post it here but i dont think brad would approve

but that is a fairly common practice and doesnt neccessarily indicate an illigitimate site(although a less than ethical one).

I would politely disagree with you (not that this is directed at you, I'm just putting this out there). I think there's something about a site (especially an animal site) without original photos that turns me off completely. You don't offer tangering leopard geckos, for example, and post a photo of a $500 gecko from one of the largest gecko breeders as an example. It's false advertising, because odds are that you're NOT getting one that looks that fantastic. And if you did have such fantastic ones, you'd take photos of your own individuals. And the fact that you don't have your own photos, and that you're misrepresenting species and morphs, just destroys any credibility you might have.

It just seems really shady, if you ask me. I personally wouldn't trust them.

yes, i agree, but i think the question was more related to whether or not it was a real site, not an ethical one. i fully believe that if you placed an order with this site that you would get an animal in return. it may not be the animal pictured, or even the animal you wanted, but i believe you would get an animal. the sad fact of the matter is that when it comes to chams, the vast majority of commercial sites (even some reputable ones) dont picture the the actual specific animal you would be getting , most, even if you call and request, will just simply say they have too many animals to deal with it. that does not mean they are not a legitmate site. even if you go to the fl chams website (which is a premium dealer with a good reputation) does not usually show pics of the actual specific animal offered, and they are certainly a legitimate site. all the more reason to deal with a reputable private breeder if you have the option. most reputable private dealers and a handful of premium mail order dealers will send you the actual specific photo if its not already posted. if not, that should be a red flag. i wont buy from a source that doesnt photo the actual specific animal. and whos to say that if you emailed this site, or the owner directly, they may be happy to provide a picture of the actual specific animal, maybe not. ya dont know until you try! jmo

Back
Top Bottom