Is this safe?

Mjw2121

Not sure what’s going on here. I know occasionally I catch him eating substrate, is this something to be worried about?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 100
You should use a substrate that isn't loose, like a newspaper. They also might have something missing from their diet. But you should get new substrate asap because it can cause really bad problems

You should use a substrate that isn't loose, like a newspaper. They also might have something missing from their diet. But you should get new substrate asap because it can cause really bad problems
Loose substrate is not issue, look at all of us bioactive. Do we cover the substrate with newspaper? Do chameleons in the wild live in trees and bushes with newspaper covering the ground? No.

Loose substrate is not issue, look at all of us bioactive. Do we cover the substrate with newspaper? Do chameleons in the wild live in trees and bushes with newspaper covering the ground? No.
My opinion is that a loose substrate is not safe, it can get the chameleon sick. It can block their digestive system making it hard for them to swallow food.

OP what kind of substrate do you have? That looks like a dried sperm plug. I'd just let it go and make sure he's hydrated. Should pass.

My opinion is that a loose substrate is not safe, it can get the chameleon sick. It can block their digestive system making it hard for them to swallow food.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's also nonsense.

@caoilinnf13 I believe you are confusing having bare floor vs bioactive as it relates to other health issues. For purposes of cleanliness and hygiene, bare floor is best IF not having a bioactive set up. Chameleons and just about all animals come from nature where there is dirt, rocks, bugs, etc. It’s only when we bring them into our homes that we think everything needs to be sterile.

Back
Top Bottom