Is this regular jacksons behavior?

I've only ever had 1 Jackson's, and I've never seen her jump...that looked almost painful! I'd have to say if my female did that, Id be worried if she was ok, but then I've only had 1, so, I'm sure others will answer that have more experience than I.

Dont look normal, didnt look like there was any food on the floor.
More likely to jump if threatened !

Chameleons in the wild will bail off a tree or bush to avoid predators. But I wouldnt keep puttin him back on the plant to make him do it 4 TIMES just to get a video to post. That borderline abuse in my book. So in summary, yes, its a normal reaction to 1. either avoiding predation or threat 2. to get to a more favorable location as quickly as possible. As you could clearly see at the end of the vid the cham was trying to get to that pine tree and GET AWAY from the tool that was harassing him.

This actually hurts my heart....:( If you pause it at .31/32 you can actually see blood on it's chin. Please tell me you found this on you tube and it is not yours????:mad:

This actually hurts my heart....:( If you pause it at .31/32 you can actually see blood on it's chin. Please tell me you found this on you tube and it is not yours????:mad:

yes I did find it on youtube and no i do not currently own any type of chameleon at the moment just wanted to know if thats normal behavior for jacksons to jump freely at any given time. I also have seen a thread related to chameleons swimming in the wild on the forum.

I know there were different camera angles but i know that was more than one jump at different angles. At what point do you worry about the animal hurting itself and quite putting it back up on a tree?!?!

As you could clearly see at the end of the vid the cham was trying to get to that pine tree and GET AWAY from the tool that was harassing him.

How do you explain the shot from the front? It was not in fear. I see a curious chameleon.

I know there were different camera angles but i know that was more than one jump at different angles. At what point do you worry about the animal hurting itself and quite putting it back up on a tree?!?!

It's a chameleon where would you suggest they put it? :D

I have seen chameleons take much harder falls that were not as expected. You can see the chameleon prepares for the jump before its made. I for one am not concerned with this video. It shows interesting natural behavior of a chameleon. It is trying to make it to the branch on the ground. It is not defensive. It is trying to roam thats all.

I agree 4 times may be a little excessive but it is not causing any harm to the chameleon. Maybe increasing the risk but they can take it.

Dude, why make him do it 4 times?Thats not something thats cool to do in my book. You may think its interesting. I think the cham was trying to get to that big tree and away from the dipstick owner. And I said its a normal behavior but why make him do it? Just because its cool to make a vid? Like I said borderline abuse or just stupidity either one I dont care to look at it again.

How about a two month old taking a 6 ft plus fall onto concrete. Not even fazed.

but at the same time its not like they can express themselves by saying "owwww" or crying if hurt other than changing colors or hissing/gaping right? Unless they have a method of falling from high perches like those blue monkey people in avatar, where the fall from leaf to leaf to land safe and sound on the ground then I wouldnt consider a two month old anything as being unfazed after takeing a 6ft fall onto concrete.

but at the same time its not like they can express themselves by saying "owwww" or crying if hurt other than changing colors or hissing/gaping right? Unless they have a method of falling from high perches like those blue monkey people in avatar, where the fall from leaf to leaf to land safe and sound on the ground then I wouldnt consider a two month old anything as being unfazed after takeing a 6ft fall onto concrete.

Chameleons "do" have a method to fall. Rib cages designed to take a fall as well as puffing up with air. Nature has evolved them to do so. Just like it made their feet for gripping branches. It is totally natural for a chameleon to jump fall and land without missing a beat or be injured. In the wild chameleons take falls from really high up.

I can assure you I have seen many chameleons fall that would make people cringe. They are not fazed by the fall and carry on with out trace of a problem. "Evolution" has a way of doing that.

Hope all this information helps answer your question(s).

Texas Panther Man;535890 Like I said borderline abuse or just stupidity either one I dont care to look at it again.[/QUOTE said:
I call it curiosity and learning. I guess its a half full / half empty thing. The video was made now everyone doesn't have to run out and try it. They can watch and learn from the video that has been made.

(no animals were hurt in the making of this film...) Food for thought

Ever see the series "life" The part where a frog that tumbles down a hill. Do you think for a second they setup cameras all down the hill and guessed the path it was going to take. The setup that from and dropped it over an over to get those shots. Kinda makes you think how many other shots are setup so the behavior can be observed. Well at least it makes me think.

I call it curiosity and learning. I guess its a half full / half empty thing. The video was made now everyone doesn't have to run out and try it. They can watch and learn from the video that has been made.

(no animals were hurt in the making of this film...) Food for thought

Ever see the series "life" The part where a frog that tumbles down a hill. Do you think for a second they setup cameras all down the hill and guessed the path it was going to take. The setup that from and dropped it over an over to get those shots. Kinda makes you think how many other shots are setup so the behavior can be observed. Well at least it makes me think.

I guess so. I just care too much about the well being of my chams to try something like that over and over. I try to avoid vet visits for me & mine...

I do agree with the shots on AP & Life Im sure they set those things up.

Btw i was nver upset or agitated. :cool::D

I guess so. I just care too much about the well being of my chams to try something like that over and over. I try to avoid vet visits for me & mine...

I wouldn't either but I can see why it was done. When I see something my animals are doing that is interesting to me and I have never seen it before I would want to document it and share it. I would be willing to bet the person saw the chameleon do it first before he decided to tape it.

Then again I could be wrong and this is just some idiot who like to hurt his animals. That was a healthy looking Jackson that I saw. So I like to think its a curiosity thing.

Btw i was nver upset or agitated. :cool::D

I read into things too much sometimes. :D

yes this is a youtube vid..i saw it a while back..really odd ..i have had chams jump, but only for a reason..and that poor cham is taking some bad tumbles..

the tree he's jumping from is an oleander they are very poisonous to animals maybe he was tring to tell his owner that the tree was not safe! very very sad that someone would keep making an animal be in danger.

Back
Top Bottom