Is this plant safe??

Veild Cham Owner

Avid Member
It's called a peace lilly

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 291
If a plant with the word "peace" in its name is deadly, then may God help us all.... :LOL:

All jokes aside though, it looks like it would be nice to hold water on the leaves for drinking opportunities.

I just did a quick Google search for "is a peace lily toxic" and the first thing that came up on the page was this:

"Humans: Burning and swelling of lips, mouth, and tongue, difficulty speaking or swallowing, vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. Cats and dogs: Information regarding the toxicity of peace lilies is somewhat conflicting, but it is listed on all animal safety sites, including the ASPCA's as toxic to dogs and cats."

A further in-depth search told me that it only appears to be toxic if large amounts of leaves are eaten.

So, with that being said, I would personally advise against it. Causing symptoms like that in humans is bad... imagine what it could do to a chameleon that is 100 times smaller and lighter than a human.... It's also toxic to dogs and cats. I honestly wouldn't risk it.

I'm no pro on the matter though and have never heard of anyone actually using it to see what happens. So maybe someone else who knows for sure will jot their thoughts down here as well? I know that some common terrarium plants can be toxic when eaten in large amounts, such as the Ficus, but people still use them with no ill effects. Maybe the same can be said for this Peace Lily? :unsure:

Last edited:
If a plant with the word "peace" in its name is deadly, then may God help us all.... :LOL:

All jokes aside though, it looks like it would be nice to hold water on the leaves for drinking opportunities.

I just did a quick Google search for "is a peace lily toxic" and the first thing that came up on the page was this:

"Humans: Burning and swelling of lips, mouth, and tongue, difficulty speaking or swallowing, vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. Cats and dogs: Information regarding the toxicity of peace lilies is somewhat conflicting, but it is listed on all animal safety sites, including the ASPCA's as toxic to dogs and cats."

A further in-depth search told me that it only appears to be toxic if large amounts of leaves are eaten.

So, with that being said, I would personally advise against it. Causing symptoms like that in humans is bad... imagine what it could do to a chameleon that is 1000 times smaller and lighter than a human.... It's also toxic to dogs and cats. I honestly wouldn't risk it.

I'm no pro on the matter though and have never heard of anyone actually using it to see what happens. So maybe someone else who knows for sure will jot their thoughts down here as well? I know that some common terrarium plants can be toxic when eaten in large amounts, such as the Ficus, but people still use them with no ill effects. Maybe the same can be said for this Peace Lily? :unsure:
Although he is not really knows for eatting plants in his cage I will pass lol. I will look into other plants that look like that cos I really liked that plant!! Thanks for your input

Back
Top Bottom