Is this okay for Basking Light

Attachments

• EDFA9D5C-DD44-4D66-B86B-5BC6D85AF558.jpeg
    EDFA9D5C-DD44-4D66-B86B-5BC6D85AF558.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 139
So it is really about the heat that is put out from the bulb. That is a plant bulb and may be able to provide the right temps, but most of us just use a regular incandescent bulb. Usually a 60 - 75 watt will do, but you need to check the temp in the enclosure to be sure. I suggest getting a temp gun to get accurate readings.

So it is really about the heat that is put out from the bulb. That is a plant bulb and may be able to provide the right temps, but most of us just use a regular incandescent bulb. Usually a 60 - 75 watt will do, but you need to check the temp in the enclosure to be sure. I suggest getting a temp gun to get accurate readings.
Well that would be great but I’ve gone to a few Home Depot’s for incandescent light bulbs and apparently they don’t carry them due to some ban in California. Incandescent bulbs have been phased out from stores.

Well that would be great but I’ve gone to a few Home Depot’s for incandescent light bulbs and apparently they don’t carry them due to some ban in California. Incandescent bulbs have been phased out from stores.

I know it is difficult. You may want to check online, but it is even difficult there. You mainly want to look for the proper temperature range...

That bulb is dimmable if need be to reduce temps below it if you don't have enough height above the cage for a lot of raising it off. I'd still keep it off the cage a couple of inches at least. Just do like Deca said and check your temps below the bulb and either raise the bulb higher or dim it until your get to your desired temp.

I know it is difficult. You may want to check online, but it is even difficult there. You mainly want to look for the proper temperature range...
I couldn’t believe it after going to my 3rd store being told that about the bulbs....Could I use a ceramic heat one for day & night?

I couldn’t believe it after going to my 3rd store being told that about the bulbs....Could I use a ceramic heat one for day & night?

you can use whatever you find for the most part. Just watch for words like "same as" 65 watt, etc. You really want to get the right temperature range. This may take some trial and error. You may have to look for contractor packs to gt the true incandescent bulbs.

That bulb will work for basking and help your live plants a little just like mentioned check the temps and have proper uvb

Dollar store still sells them in Louisiana, don’t know about California.

On the temperature guns.... this is something I’ve been finding that needs to be explained a bit better when recommending them. I have one myself and do use it, good tool. However we need to explain that temperature guns can only be used to measure surface temperature, not ambient. They do not replace the need for a standard digital/analog ambient thermometer.

You can IF,

You can use a ceramic or a Arcadia Deep heat, if you have an insane amount of light in your cage. Chameleons use light to find basking.

So let me run some examples.

Example 1
Your cage has 2 T5s 1 for UV, and 1 for Plants. You should not use a Ceramic heat emitter or Arcadia Deep Heat.

Example 2
Your cage has 2 T5s one for UV one for Plants, and 20k lumens worth of LEDs. You can use a Ceramic Heat emitter or Deep Heat.

So I want to be careful saying yes, as 99% of people call in example one. Falling into example 2, and balancing things correctly is difficult and expensive. For your suggestion of night and day temps. Now you also have to add in the cost of a Thermostat, such as a Herpstat. So the latter, can be done, and done well. The price of doing it is high.

Basically a good rule of thumb is this. If you when a regular basking light is on, you can see the added Light, you need a light. However if you already have so much light that any basking bulb is drowned out by the insane bright lighting you don't need the light just the heat.

Dollar store still sells them in Louisiana, don’t know about California.

On the temperature guns.... this is something I’ve been finding that needs to be explained a bit better when recommending them. I have one myself and do use it, good tool. However we need to explain that temperature guns can only be used to measure surface temperature, not ambient. They do not replace the need for a standard digital/analog ambient thermometer.
Thank you for taking the time to share that knowledge is there a ambient thermometer you recommend?

You can IF,

You can use a ceramic or a Arcadia Deep heat, if you have an insane amount of light in your cage. Chameleons use light to find basking.

So let me run some examples.

Example 1
Your cage has 2 T5s 1 for UV, and 1 for Plants. You should not use a Ceramic heat emitter or Arcadia Deep Heat.

Example 2
Your cage has 2 T5s one for UV one for Plants, and 20k lumens worth of LEDs. You can use a Ceramic Heat emitter or Deep Heat.

So I want to be careful saying yes, as 99% of people call in example one. Falling into example 2, and balancing things correctly is difficult and expensive. For your suggestion of night and day temps. Now you also have to add in the cost of a Thermostat, such as a Herpstat. So the latter, can be done, and done well. The price of doing it is high.

Basically a good rule of thumb is this. If you when a regular basking light is on, you can see the added Light, you need a light. However if you already have so much light that any basking bulb is drowned out by the insane bright lighting you don't need the light just the heat.
Thank you...for the detailed info :)

Back
Top Bottom