Is this normal?

pascal2023

Avid Member
i’ve had chameleons before ( 2 of them at different times, both veiled ) and I don’t think I’ve needed to worry so much about them compared to the lovely little one I have now, She’s eating fine, going to the toilet everyday, I assume she’s drinking since there’s ‘access to water’ on leaves and side of the cage ect. Today. I feel like I keep finding things to worry about with her, from her not eating properly last couple days but has now a full appetite, hunting for food now which I’m happy about and other little bits that have been resolved however the last couple days I’ve noticed she will just plonk her self on a branch and let some of her legs hang over the side of it if that makes sense, every time I try photograph her doing it she moves and I wondered about the curled tail, I get it’s for balance and when they’re asleep that’s unique for a veiled but sometimes when she walks, she’ll walk with it curled. Could she be stressed?
I’ve found she doesn’t really explore much unless she’s going to find water where as my old chameleons would walk about quite a lot and explore

(This isn’t her normal cage, she’s temporarily in there until her bigger one is cleaned out)

Anyone else had this?

Attachments

• B95FBBE0-795A-438C-92FA-700D1983B986.jpeg
    B95FBBE0-795A-438C-92FA-700D1983B986.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 58379A93-6F4B-4E77-8D2D-3C209AA876B0.jpeg
    58379A93-6F4B-4E77-8D2D-3C209AA876B0.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 70
Hi Pascal,

I am not sure if you have filled out a husbandry review form yet. Would you like to have your husbandry reviewed by some very experienced people here? I ask because you say your girl sometimes let her feet hang. Although it could be normal aver now and then, it could also mean something else if they are not gripping right. Just let me know and I will post it for you to fill out.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Hi Pascal,

I am not sure if you have filled out a husbandry review form yet. Would you like to have your husbandry reviewed by some very experienced people here? I ask because you say your girl sometimes let her feet hang. Although it could be normal aver now and then, it could also mean something else if they are not gripping right. Just let me know and I will post it for you to fill out.
Yes please, I haven’t filled one in yet would appreciate that Thankyou ! Sorry again lol I’ll get use to this forum and how to use it some point

chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

pics of entire cage from lights down is most helpful 🙂

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Much appreciated thanks so much, only want the best for my animals and I hope I’m not doing anything wrong

chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

pics of entire cage from lights down is most helpful 🙂
Thankyou for this much appreciated and of course, will post some cage photos too!

Anytime :) as should we all! I can say this forum has had some of the most insightful caring members i have seen in a while!
I had 2 other chameleons before who were both slightly older when I got them ( so I guess they weren’t juvenile when I rescued them ) never had a single worry about them but I think because this little girl is around the 3/4 months old mark I guess in a way they’re more susceptible to becoming sick? Is that a thing? Aha!!

I wouldn't say females are more prone to becoming sick, but they can definitely develop reproductive issues if the husbandry isn't right.
Veileds are a bit like chickens, they lay eggs without having been mated and without the proper husbandry, diet and temperatures in particular, they can develop huge clutches, develop follicular stasis, MBD, prolapse and become eggbound....and die...so as they are approaching sexual maturity, it's important to make things right for them.

I wouldn't say females are more prone to becoming sick, but they can definitely develop reproductive issues if the husbandry isn't right.
Veileds are a bit like chickens, they lay eggs without having been mated and without the proper husbandry, diet and temperatures in particular, they can develop huge clutches, develop follicular stasis, MBD, prolapse and become eggbound....and die...so as they are approaching sexual maturity, it's important to make things right for them.
Sorry I should’ve been clearer, all of my chameleons were females and my others were mature: older but because she’s the youngest below 6 months old I’ve had I wondered if they would pick up sicknesses easier, sorry if I sound stupid lol but yeah I’m always on top of feeding, keeping the right temperature and diathermy needs for them

Back
Top Bottom