Is this normal?

Ag.parks

Hi forums! I have a quick question about my new cham! I got her about 2 weeks ago and just recently she’s started randomly hissing at nothing. Another thing is that she’s hanging out at the bottom of the cage a lot more. I don’t think that she’s carrying yet because she’s only around 5 months old and she does not look anything like a carrying Cham (I will put some pics on here too). i make sure to mist the cage and I just checked the humidity and it’s around 50%. Are these things normal? And I do not have a laying bin yet, I just found out that she is female actually so I’m going to go pick up some sand tomorrow and I plan on setting it in her viv so that she can have it there just in case.

Chameleon Info:

◦ My Chameleon - Veiled, female, 5 months old. 2 weeks in my care

◦ Handling - Only once, when I was putting her in her terrarium after I first got her.

◦ Feeding - Crickets. About 7 a day (as many as she can eat). Feed her around 4 crickets usually around 12ish(PM) and recently I have been trying to let her snack on more crickets. I'm currently trying to earn some trust (since I just got her) so that I can start interacting with her a little more. Gut loading- I feed the crickets Fluker's High Calcium Cricket Diet Reptile Supplement. I also feed them Fluker's Cricket Quencher Calcium Fortified Reptile Supplement for hydration (since they drown themselves every time I put the tiniest water cup in the cage :rolleyes:) I try to also feed them some collard greens and fruits.

◦ Supplements - Zoo Med Reptivite without D3. I dust them twice a week.

◦ Watering - I hand-mist and use a homemade dripper. I mist 3 times a day for around 3-5 mins. I sometimes see her drinking, it's super hard to get her interested. I'm hoping that she drinks more when I'm away from her cage. I've seen her drink from the water bowl once and that was a few days after I got her.

◦ Fecal Description - White urates, little yellow, regular poop. No testing, but I've been watching her and I have researched all of the signs. I plan on taking her to the vet for a checkup after she gets settled in her new home and trusts me more.

◦ History - I got her from PetSmart, she got there at around 4 months old. She was there for probably a month until I got her. They said that they monitored her a lot for illness, parasites, etc, nothing seemed wrong. When I got her she was very healthy.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Screen cage. 16" x 16" x 30".

◦ Lighting - Reptibreeze zoomed tropical UVB and heat lighting kit. 8am-8pm.

◦ Temperature - Basking: Around 80 degrees fahrenheit. Night temp: 69-71 degrees fahrenheit. I use a Zoomed thermometer to measure.

◦ Humidity - Humidity levels: 50-60%. I make sure to mist the cage 3 times a day, and I constantly check the gauge. I measure the humidity with a Grreat Choice thermometer gauge.

◦ Plants - No live plants.

◦ Placement - The cage is next to my window. It is close to a air vent but before I put her there I made sure that it wasn't affecting the temp of her cage or anything. The top of the cage is about 6 feet above the ground.

◦ Location - Mid-South America.

Attachments

• FB1C9858-4979-40C6-97DD-F22BBB1E1752.jpeg
    FB1C9858-4979-40C6-97DD-F22BBB1E1752.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 634FB295-9CC0-4721-9223-6272BFD9AB62.jpeg
    634FB295-9CC0-4721-9223-6272BFD9AB62.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 83
  • C22B9C81-AFFE-44A3-BB87-132A36E7D44F.jpeg
    C22B9C81-AFFE-44A3-BB87-132A36E7D44F.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 80
How can you post more photos of the cham? Also, is there anything that can cause a reflection? like on the window? They usually hiss randomly when but not limited to stressed, in pain, or might be too hot.
Your Lighting needs an upgrade. Maybe more horizontal branches close to the coil bulb, but like at an angle going down in the basking bulb. Take her outside to see how she reacts.

How can you post more photos of the cham? Also, is there anything that can cause a reflection? like on the window? They usually hiss randomly when but not limited to stressed, in pain, or might be too hot.
Your Lighting needs an upgrade. Maybe more horizontal branches close to the coil bulb, but like at an angle going down in the basking bulb. Take her outside to see how she reacts.
I don’t think so. It may be too hot. Is there any way to cool it down? And i am going shopping today for her laying bin so I will pick up some more branches while I’m out! I’m planning on starting to take her outside when she trusts me more.. right now she won’t let me get near her without letting out one of her hisses :ROFLMAO:.Thank you!
Also I’m sorry about the pictures! She gets really scared when i take pictures of her so I try not to unless she’s asleep or calm.

Attachments

• 3861A99D-595D-4A1D-9FDF-DC18623AF58F.jpeg
    3861A99D-595D-4A1D-9FDF-DC18623AF58F.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 65
  • 36AB722F-D19E-4E8D-8A78-7086A69C1E89.jpeg
    36AB722F-D19E-4E8D-8A78-7086A69C1E89.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom