Is this normal behavior?

Folded

Your Chameleon - Ambilobe Panther, male, 5months old, 4days in my care.
Handling - none yet
Feeding - he ate 6 1/2-3/4in crickets the first day, 4-5 the second, none yesterday, none today. Gutloaded with bugburger.
Supplements - Only repashy supercal NoD at the moment. I have supercal plus also that i intend to cut with the plain cal twice per week.
Watering - No consitent schecule yet. I have been misting for 1-2min 3 times daily. Dripper running for 1/2an hr to an hr. Yes he will drink from the dripper.
Fecal Description - Dark Brown with bright white urates. As far as i can tell he has only gone once since in my care.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 18x18x36 reptibreeze
Lighting - Arcadia 6%, 150w exoterra basking lamp on a dimmer. I was unable to get adequate temps with a standard incandescent.
Temperature - lowest branch is 70 basking is currently 90. I know the care sheets here recommend 82. The breeders recommend 90-95...i don't know what to do on this.
Humidity - 60-80. Cheapo analog hygrometer that came in a two pack. I bought it nearly 10 years ago and have no idea if its accurate or not.
Plants - Live hibiscus, live pothos
Placement - In his own room. The only traffic is me checking in on him. Probably to often. Top of the cage is about 6.5ft from the ground.
Location - Kansas

Current Problem: Forgive me if I missed anything. I am not necessarily having any issues but want to make sure everything is "normal". I am slightly concerned about his not eating the last two days, I know they can go on hunger strikes but isn't it soon for that? Second he has stayed dark most of the time, I've been assuming this is because of the stress from moving. He does brighten up the few times i've seen him hunting and when sleeping. He has spent most of the time with me just chilling on a low hanging branch. He is not sleeping during the day, but does not seem all that active either. I did see him gape once today. I was trying to get a picture of him at his dripper so he may have just been pissed about that. I'm also considering that he may have been hot. I'm not sure that the thermometer was accurate as it shot up to 120(its 100 out right now) when i went outside, but it matches the ambient in my house (75). I have replaced the thermometer with a zoomed digital, and also picked up a zilla ir to spot check. I hear no wheezing when i place my ear near him(in the cage), no stringy saliva.

I know I am probably being slightly paranoid as this is my first cham(first lizard actually), but I want to make sure everything is in order.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I tried to include all possible points of concern.

For the supplements, you want Calcium with NO D3 daily, Calcium WITH D3 2 times per month, and Multi-Vitamin 2 times per month. This is the standard supplementation schedule for a panther.

Basking temp is way too warm. Try to get it as close to 82 as you can. The care sheets are your friend!

For the supplements, you want Calcium with NO D3 daily, Calcium WITH D3 2 times per month, and Multi-Vitamin 2 times per month. This is the standard supplementation schedule for a panther.

Basking temp is way too warm. Try to get it as close to 82 as you can. The care sheets are your friend!

My understanding is that Supercal NoD IS no D3...is that incorrect. My understanding is also that many keepers use the supercal plus cutting method. I am aware it is not exactly standard, but has proven effective by experienced keepers. Does that mean that I should change it due to my inexperience?

He comes from getting supercal plus daily. Thus, my only using the NoD presently.

In regards to the temp. I did say that was a partial dilemma. The care sheets on the site here(yes, I have read them. Multiple times in fact.)are in direct contradiction to the care sheets provided from the established breeder...so i don't know which to follow.

As long as he is not gaping while basking he is fine. 90 is OK as yes the breeder I have gotten two of my panthers from basks them in the 90's. They can handle it.

thank you both for the replies. I did drop the temps slightly(was reading 86 before i left for work) so I assume as long as the gaping doesnt continue i shouldn't be worried about it. I'm still not sure if it was the temp, him being pissed at me, or something else.

I'm slightly more concerned about his lack of eating the last two days and the fact that he's been hugging the same branch for the last 3hours.

Fully aware i'm probably just paranoid.

These animals have a way of worrying us. Hopefully his eating will pick back up. You can try other feeders also. It is kinda soon for him to be going on a hunger strike. Give it a few more days. They can be strange little creatures!

let the paranoia continue...just curious if these whitish grey spots on his side are normal. I believe they have been there since he arrived but he did a full shed his first day so i'm not 100% sure...

yes i'm going to be paranoid about absolutely everything until i know he is happy and healthy. Reason #1 why i don't have human kids.

Back
Top Bottom