Is this MBD

T_Nicole

Hi everyone! I have a 4 month old male veiled chameleon and I have noticed him grabbing his back leg with his front leg. I have only had him for a little over 2 months. I am thinking he could have developed this before I got him. He has often sat with his front mit resting on his back leg. Recently I have starting trying to develop a relationship with him to make him more comfortable around me and I have noticed when he is trying to run away and there isn't much for him to grab he will grab his own leg or tail. He doesn't do this usually. Additionally the first two weeks that I had him he fell a couple of times after lights went out but I thought it was because be wasn't used to the schedule or enclosure yet but I think it may be related. For Supplements I use repticalcium without D3 every day and reptivite with D3 twice a month. I also have a Zoo Med reptisun T5 5.0 fixture.

I dont have any pictures of him doing this because he hates my phone camera so I dont take many pictures of him but I can try and catch him doing it and take a picture if needed.
Thanks for any advice you may have!

He is making this difficult but here is right now
3182021.jpg

Photos please.
What specific supplements do you use and how often for each? I'm particularly interested in D3 and the form of vitamin A, do they contain calcium and phos.?
What specific UVB light do you use...long linear or curly of compact?
For Supplements I use repticalcium without D3 every day and reptivite with D3 twice a month. I also have a Zoo Med reptisun T5 5.0 fixture. I dont know the form of vitamin A

Sorry I asked about the supplements when you already mentioned them. I went to read your other posts and then came back to answer and forgot you had mentioned them. :( I must be getting old! :(

If you can post a couple more photos of him from both sides I can check his legs...but I don't think he hashing signs of MBD from what I can see in the one you did post.

Your supplements are perfect and the rotation is perfect. Lighting is correct. Distance to basking branch below would need to be 8-9 inches for the correct UVI level.

I do not see any external signs of MBD either.

Be careful with how close he is able to get to the lamps in the back. Thermal burn risk is high the closer they can get up to them. Your wanting 8-9 inches for distance and temp at the branch to be no hotter then 80.

Start with hand feeding to build trust rather then trying to pull him from the cage. When they are trying to get away from you they will grab anything they can and some will even jump to get away. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

Your supplements are perfect and the rotation is perfect. Lighting is correct. Distance to basking branch below would need to be 8-9 inches for the correct UVI level.

I do not see any external signs of MBD either.

Be careful with how close he is able to get to the lamps in the back. Thermal burn risk is high the closer they can get up to them. Your wanting 8-9 inches for distance and temp at the branch to be no hotter then 80.

Start with hand feeding to build trust rather then trying to pull him from the cage. When they are trying to get away from you they will grab anything they can and some will even jump to get away. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
Thank you for the advice! I had added a branch a little closer to the UVB to make sure that he was able to get enough light and I check the heat lamp daily to make sure it doesnt get too hot but I will probably have to move it as he gets bigger! Also I just wanted to say that I don't take him out of the cage. I will just lure him closer to the front of the cage with a bug and when the bugs run out, its like he his just realizing how close he got to me and freaks out a little😅

Sorry I asked about the supplements when you already mentioned them. I went to read your other posts and then came back to answer and forgot you had mentioned them. :( I must be getting old! :(

If you can post a couple more photos of him from both sides I can check his legs...but I don't think he hashing signs of MBD from what I can see in the one you did post.
Sorry for such a late response. I was able to snag this picture when he decided to come out yesterday. Also the problem seems to have resolved itself, I have not noticed him grabbing his own leg anymore. I did kind of freak out a week ago and literally thought he was dying but turns out he was just shedding:). Guess that's part of being a new owner lol.
4112021.jpg

A bit of a necro bump but saw this because of my MBD post like a few days ago. Figured I'd share that my baby female panther chameleon also expresses this behavior when she is shedding, I don't see her doing it otherwise. I believe it aids them in removing the dry skin faster, sort of like a dog with an itch.

Back
Top Bottom