Is this MBD treatment normal?

I thought I recognized this screen name. Good detective work guys.

Phil- I’m going to make this simple.

-Take your Cham outside for an hour of direct, unfiltered sunshine every day for the next month. This is where your D3 will come from.

-Upgrade to T5HO lighting with a 6% Arcadia bulb

-Throw out whatever supplements your using.

-Find a new vet(but you shouldn’t need one if you actually follow the advice your given this time!)

-Buy this and put it on every single feeder that goes down your chams throat. Do not deviate.
Repashy Calcium Plus LoD 3 Oz JAR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DLJRMV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AG2hDb8BW76JP

F6EA7AA2-F62D-4FC7-8712-DAE48B57CF55.png

I thought I recognized this screen name. Good detective work guys.

Phil- I’m going to make this simple.

-Take your Cham outside for an hour of direct, unfiltered sunshine every day for the next month. This is where your D3 will come from.

-Upgrade to T5HO lighting with a 6% Arcadia bulb

-Throw out whatever supplements your using.

-Find a new vet(but you shouldn’t need one if you actually follow the advice your given this time!)

-Buy this and put it on every single feeder that goes down your chams throat. Do not deviate.
Repashy Calcium Plus LoD 3 Oz JAR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DLJRMV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AG2hDb8BW76JP

View attachment 238400
Thanks

I got back from a different vet about an hour ago. Gave me some liquid vitamins along with some different things. But he also told me to use bottled water instead of well water. Which is what our house runs on. I also picked up some testing strips for fish tanks and tested our well water. Turns out it’s REALLY high in photosphorus. Not sure if that’s bad for chameleons but nonetheless I’m going to use bottled water from now on.

Last edited:
How long have you had Pickles?

What MBD symptoms are you seeing?

Did you get a weight from the first veterinarian?

This concerns me.
I’ve had him for 2 month, but he’s 4-6 months old. As far as symptoms. He’s not climbing quite as fast as he did a few days ago and he has a bent nail, he’s also having some trouble eating. He’s 34 grams.

I got back from a different vet about an hour ago. Gave me some liquid vitamins along with some different things. But he also told me to use bottled water instead of well water. Which is what our house runs on. I also picked up some testing strips for fish tanks and tested our well water. Turns out it’s REALLY high in photosphorus. Not sure if that’s bad for chameleons but nonetheless I’m going to use bottled water from now on.

You should only ever use reverse osmosis or DI water with chameleons. All the crap in untreated water is very bad for their eyes and can get them sick

So yeah I would say the phosphorus might be the problem.... I thought Chameleons regulated the phosphorus is their food with UVB and D3.., Before I mislead you, let me find the article where I read that, it said something like that... Don’t quote me just yet though. Phosphorus binds to calcium, therefore decreasing your calcium levels... That might be the cause of MBD..

So yeah I would say the phosphorus might be the problem.... I thought Chameleons regulated the phosphorus is their food with UVB and D3.., Before I mislead you, let me find the article where I read that, it said something like that... Don’t quote me just yet though. Phosphorus binds to calcium, therefore decreasing your calcium levels... That might be the cause of MBD..
Alright. That must be it. I was able to find an article saying the same thing.

Correct^ if your phosphorus to calcium ratio is out of wack it definitely will prevent your Cham from metabolizing his calcium and is without a doubt part of your problem. However it is not the sole cause of his recent downturn, you still need to follow through with a the recommendation mentioned above.

This is also a GREAT example of why it is so important to include as much detail as possible when responding to the help form.

RO filter system was one of the better investments i've made since starting reptile keeping. No unknown or potentially dangerous chemicals in my animals water now. Just change the filter media and RO membrane once or twice per year (or when you read anything over 0 TDS) and you wont need to worry about bad water.

Lack of a good D3 supplement would also contribute to the MBD diagnosis. Listen to Brodybreaux25 and follow his advice.

Doesn’t distilled water sucks Calcium out of your bones?

No. At least not in our use.

Distilled water and RODI water, lacks all minerals. For that reason, it does suck minerals out into it, as water wants to be mineralized.

However in the case of a mister, it pulls those minerals out of the air, and misting system branches it falls on ect.

Distilled water and RODI water, lacks all minerals. For that reason, it does suck minerals out into it, as water wants to be mineralized.

However in the case of a mister, it pulls those minerals out of the air, and misting system branches it falls on ect.
Gotchu... Thank You Mister

I never would have guessed that. Is there a study?

I never would have guessed that. Is there a study?

Yes, quite a few have to find some for ya.

I only know that, because of my other hobby water-cooled computers. Distilled water, is not electrically conductive. So people think it's safe, it's not, while pouring the water into the system, it actively pulls minerals from the air, which causes the water to become electrically conductive again.

That's what the DI, in RODI does, it Deionizes the water, which in turn makes the water into akin like a magnet.

The same is applied to rain water. Rain water is distilled, naturally, however as it falls through the atmosphere it grabs any minerals on it's way down. From the air.

It's low in minerals, as there isn't much minerals in the air, but it still has Minerals. In a dusty house, it grabs the dust and carbon ect.

Whether, it can still acidicly remove calcium from us. Is undecided, there is studies suggest it does and that's good, it does and that's bad, and it doesn't.

Here is a quick and dirty link.

https://www.thedistilledwatercompan...tween-Rainwater-and-Distilled-Water_b_92.html

It vaguely talks about it. While comparing distilled.

And another,

https://www.thedistilledwatercompan...tween-Rainwater-and-Distilled-Water_b_92.html

There is much better more in depth ones, I will have to look for later today.

However both bring up another interesting point. The argument that Distiled water is bad for humans, is moot to chameleons. Chameleons drink rain water, not stream water. The water they are drinking is already acidic and akin to DI, I still do just RO for the remaining minerals and PH balance.

You could add calcium to the DI water, but that would clog up your misters, and there is no calcium in rain water anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom