Is this Ficus Tree okay?

Hey there... How big is your cham? I will tell you with smaller ficus they just do not support the weight of an adult cham at all. I have one that is 5 foot tall and still had to attach bendable vines to the top where the smaller branches are to provide places my boy could hang out without the branches bending. The other thing you have to watch for with Ficus is that if they break branches they can produce sap which is not good for the cham. This is why I only use this in my free range area and not in the cage. If you are looking for height look at dwarf umbrella plants. Also some dracena plants are great for creating foliage and you can find them taller... I just found some at wall mart that were 3 ft in the pots for only 20 bucks each.

Hey there... How big is your cham? I will tell you with smaller ficus they just do not support the weight of an adult cham at all. I have one that is 5 foot tall and still had to attach bendable vines to the top where the smaller branches are to provide places my boy could hang out without the branches bending. The other thing you have to watch for with Ficus is that if they break branches they can produce sap which is not good for the cham. This is why I only use this in my free range area and not in the cage. If you are looking for height look at dwarf umbrella plants. Also some dracena plants are great for creating foliage and you can find them taller... I just found some at wall mart that were 3 ft in the pots for only 20 bucks each.
This is my cham. I just can not seem to find any other safe plants at my stores! He loves his Hibiscus, but he’s ate that thing to literal death.

Attachments

• 0B3830B5-8BF0-4441-B665-87EC72A51252.jpeg
    0B3830B5-8BF0-4441-B665-87EC72A51252.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 182
This is my cham. I just can not seem to find any other safe plants at my stores! He loves his Hibiscus, but he’s had ate that thing to literal death.
Yeah he is going to tear up that little ficus. So I go to a local nursery... I can get mature pothos that have vines 4 foot long. They usually cost between 20-40 dollars though. I found my large ficus at a florist. It was 65 which was a steal compared to the ones the same size at the nursery for 125.
If you have home depot or lowes they sometimes get in larger ones. With the nursery I get mine from she can actually order in something specific for me. She thought it was cool that I was using her plants for a cham enclosure lol. So you may try that route at a nursery. If they don't have it they may be able to order it. I have 4 pothos in with my Veiled... Honestly I prefer them for in the enclosure just because they tolerate everything. Plus the larger vines are great for him to travel on. These are ideal with you can anchor them higher in the viv.

This is what you can do with mature pothos and anchoring them higher. Creates dense foliage and lots of additional hiding spots.
newcage2.JPG
newcage3.JPG

Really???
Yeah.... There is not a comprehensive list for plant eaters like Veileds. While that list may work out for other species I would air on the side of caution using it for Veileds. I found out from an expert in the hobby when I reached out to him because I had emailed FLchams to ask and no one responded.

Yeah.... There is not a comprehensive list for plant eaters like Veileds. While that list may work out for other species I would air on the side of caution using it for Veileds. I found out from an expert in the hobby when I reached out to him because I had emailed FLchams to ask and no one responded.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

It's pretty obvious the plant list is BS along with the idea that pothos are safe. Just because they're not immediately killing a chameleon doesn't mean they can't contribute to long term problems associated with high oxalates. Then again they may not, but it just goes to show how unreliable any info on plants there is. About the only thing we know for certain is the dangers of things like nightshades, the irritating sap from things like ficus(though I've seen no problems from it), and a few others.

It's pretty obvious the plant list is BS along with the idea that pothos are safe. Just because they're not immediately killing a chameleon doesn't mean they can't contribute to long term problems associated with high oxalates. Then again they may not, but it just goes to show how unreliable any info on plants there is. About the only thing we know for certain is the dangers of things like nightshades, the irritating sap from things like ficus(though I've seen no problems from it), and a few others.
It is funny you mention the pothos. When I first got Beman I did not know anything... I did put pothos in his cage within a few days. He ate the heck out of it. But I was not gutloading properly at all the first few weeks. I had no clue what to buy or do still at that point. And the supplements that were recommended to me at the pet store turned out to be really awful as well. So I reworded my gutload and my supplements within those 3 weeks once i finally learned what to do. As soon as I did that he hardly touched the pothos. I really think Veileds go after their plants 10 times more when the gutload is not right and the supplements are lacking. IME at least.

It is funny you mention the pothos. When I first got Beman I did not know anything... I did put pothos in his cage within a few days. He ate the heck out of it. But I was not gutloading properly at all the first few weeks. I had no clue what to buy or do still at that point. And the supplements that were recommended to me at the pet store turned out to be really awful as well. So I reworded my gutload and my supplements within those 3 weeks once i finally learned what to do. As soon as I did that he hardly touched the pothos. I really think Veileds go after their plants 10 times more when the gutload is not right and the supplements are lacking. IME at least.

That it's interesting you point that out. May be an age related thing too? I know Panthers tend to chew on stuff as jueveniles, but stop as adults.

Back
Top Bottom