Is this edema?

amf45005

Hello everyone! This is my new Ankilobe (Ankify x Ambilobe) named Gadget. I’m wondering if I’m over analyzing him or if this is something I should address. I’ve looked up a lot and I’m on the fence if this is edema or not. Any insight is welcome, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8338.jpeg
    IMG_8338.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8316.jpeg
    IMG_8316.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8314.jpeg
    IMG_8314.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8284.jpeg
    IMG_8284.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 9
I always ask "Does my chameleon suddenly have man boobs?" for edema - I'd say he's got a little bit of it going on.

How long have you had him? If you can give us some history on him (or do a full husbandry review) we may be able to help narrow down causes. If you haven't had him for very long, any info you have on him before you got him would be helpful as well.

I always ask "Does my chameleon suddenly have man boobs?" for edema - I'd say he's got a little bit of it going on.

How long have you had him? If you can give us some history on him (or do a full husbandry review) we may be able to help narrow down causes. If you haven't had him for very long, any info you have on him before you got him would be helpful as well.
I’ve only had him a little over two weeks, I’m going to reach out to the breeder and ask them a few questions as well. I’ve seen bee pollen being brought up a lot in these posts on edema, I’ve only very recently purchased some bee pollen for them. So I don’t think that’s it. He gets calcium w/o d3 on his bugs and reptivite w/ d3 every other week, which he’s coming up on. I gut load roaches and crickets with repashy bug burger. His husbandry is good

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 8
Yeah only two weeks in your care isn't really long enough for you to be the cause, I think. I'd say get some info from the breeder and that will be helpful. Bee pollen realyl does seem to correlate with edema in some chams so I'd probably put that on hold as well.

Last edited:
Yeah only two weeks in your care isn't really long enough for you to be the cause, I think. I'd say get some info from the breeder and that will be helpful. Bee pollen realyl does seem to correlate with edema in some chams so I'd probably put that on hold as well.
Breeder said they gave calcium without d3 every feeding and lod twice a month. I was thinking of switching to repashy anyways so I’ll try that and see what happens, my veiled doesn’t show any signs of edema so I feel like I’m doing everything right 🤷‍♂️.
Also, what are the repashy supplements and calcium I should get? There’s a lot of options out there haha

Lol I use Repashy LoD for my guy as his D3/Multivitamin, and Repticalcium without D3. There's been SOME discussion that Repashy with D3 is maybe too much D3, and the LoD is ideal, but none of us are vets...

Calcium: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...082&sprefix=repticalcium+,aps,144&sr=8-1&th=1

and

Multivitamin: https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calc...1712107104&sprefix=repashy+lod,aps,143&sr=8-1

It really seems you ARE doing things right. The bee pollen COULD be a cause, but 2 weeks seems a short time to cause it. Edema can also indicate organ issues - has your guy been tested for parasites?

Lol I use Repashy LoD for my guy as his D3/Multivitamin, and Repticalcium without D3. There's been SOME discussion that Repashy with D3 is maybe too much D3, and the LoD is ideal, but none of us are vets...

Calcium: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Calcium-without/dp/B000UJPHL8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3TGS7OS26AV6I&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.j9EsOYjuCwmAeESmvadMQwgCrENwNT-sdFVD-eKL2Szozi6lySWLkIWIL_MI-L1QxoAe0F92OJDHvsvlQiwX3AM3V9174vJPToNzIFS6DXZmah28Z3J1K65GMcqHMqQvu-DHmBG6rsXbgd_OhgtE4QkiK0L7P2a9-q-c6JNWpuEGHXp49Hvck5gokwzKMX0ENdp43_lJMjB5pGKfutN28TNsq6lSvTCGjMaIPjvxWV--GvTMYZ-Cj5Cr3HfIDXWm8XKQn9CEi0SlE2oaCJLhe3BG7Zte8xeZlJnR1Xl_XLw.NijJCKSQW7MaWdUMp-mcYFxEoxcJwUYz7aobbO2gQE8&dib_tag=se&keywords=repticalcium+without+vitamin+d3&qid=1712107082&sprefix=repticalcium+,aps,144&sr=8-1&th=1

and

Multivitamin: https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calcium-Plus-LoD-JAR/dp/B00DLJRMV2/ref=sr_1_1_pp?crid=1L9HQJVPG23A2&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.22lqCF81ZYQmPZZttcwdOBCkgcVHJuZsruuunsZVzpTqcUWVLM2cphJ8Bc2ig0tHaP9nq-Tp2euAHu6b-5-AVet5HTH8m8erd4n3R7dzSKjYANapJdy-HD7AkdhH5EcCUG_C9sX5YP6KHIQo2tcnu09HQBe8e1elc1Nzv__ZBWCgNh9LHM1WlmRiD_94dl5xETFWzYGJOXDJpljmsfJ5ZCV57mcE51AQIJhiNgbgvwFhHraxhn8f0-C9pUX_3BuTJhxCYwnzq56GGyee52GyEfd4-ed0DiVutQFY_xOkCD0.eIJ5T6bgffAXxlUxNf4WO0JtLJ-fLJrdCWzn2y5PzmE&dib_tag=se&keywords=repashy+lod&qid=1712107104&sprefix=repashy+lod,aps,143&sr=8-1

It really seems you ARE doing things right. The bee pollen COULD be a cause, but 2 weeks seems a short time to cause it. Edema can also indicate organ issues - has your guy been tested for parasites?
Thanks for the info! That’s the calcium I currently use and the the repashy the breeder used. He’s only have reptivite w/ d3 once since I’ve had him. And bee pollen has only been his diet for maybe three or four days 🤣.
He has not been to a vet yet either.

If that is the beginning of edema I would cut back on your vitamins to once a month for maybe two months. I would continue to use the bee pollen sparingly. I like and use Reptical without D3 every feeding and RepashyLoD twice a month ( jacksons once a month) for all the species I have.

Attachments

• 20190420_160553.jpg
    20190420_160553.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the info! That’s the calcium I currently use and the the repashy the breeder used. He’s only have reptivite w/ d3 once since I’ve had him. And bee pollen has only been his diet for maybe three or four days 🤣.
He has not been to a vet yet either.
Yeah, as Steve said, I'd cut back on vitamins for a little bit to see if that is causal. And a vet visit/checkup and a fecal float is always recommended.

So other than not giving him any multivitamins this month, is there anything else I should or could do for him? His little man boobs are getting bigger 🤣
If you can, I'd get him to a vet for a fecal check and possibly bloodwork if your budget allows. The more serious thing that can cause edema is sluggish/upset organ function.

Back
Top Bottom