Is this bad

Elliechameleon

The past 3 nights my Panther male has opted to spend the night in his Schefflera tree sitting directly outside the door of his cage. I keep the front door of his cage open as much as possible and provide a stick for him to access the free world in his tree when he chooses. Around the same time each night, Fritz makes his way across the stick to his favorite spot in the tree. My question is: Is this a bad idea to allow him to do so and most likely not get the humidity he needs at night or should I allow him to do as he chooses? No other pets in the house and Fritz doesn’t move until 8am the next day at which time I put him back in his cage.

The past 3 nights my Panther male has opted to spend the night in his Schefflera tree sitting directly outside the door of his cage. I keep the front door of his cage open as much as possible and provide a stick for him to access the free world in his tree when he chooses. Around the same time each night, Fritz makes his way across the stick to his favorite spot in the tree. My question is: Is this a bad idea to allow him to do so and most likely not get the humidity he needs at night or should I allow him to do as he chooses? No other pets in the house and Fritz doesn’t move until 8am the next day at which time I put him back in his cage.
If you dont have high humidity in your house then I would keep him in his enclosure at nights. If you have good humidity for him just keep out he gets enough uvb light and he gets up on time.

Imho the humidity is overrated and not a concern If you're misting and he gets water that way. I have a montane species living on a large free range in my office and he is thriving. His only water is showers on a tree. Humidity is about 45-50% for him regularly. Most people here have been keeping chameleons for years and years before the high humidity at night became a fad. It's not a bad thing, I would do it if I could, but the main thing is hydration and ventilation. Humidity isn't good if it means low ventilation, just like it is not bad if there is high ventilation. If you are concerned about the humidity, just angle a fogger so it goes on at night where he sleeps.

Back
Top Bottom