Is this a safe flower?

KamaKamaChameleon!

Avid Member
I found this and wanted put it in my veild chameleon's cage so is it safe?all I know it's some sort of lilly.

Attachments

• 1523053631583-1903663166.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 270
It's a daffodil. When I lived in the mountains it was the only flower you could plant that the deer wouldn't eat. It grows from a bulb and has a very short season. It won't make a good cage plant and may be toxic.

It's a daffodil. When I lived in the mountains it was the only flower you could plant that the deer wouldn't eat. It grows from a bulb and has a very short season. It won't make a good cage plant and may be toxic.
Yep, first flowers to bloom up here in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Orchids can be used as accent plants but I have a hard time getting them to re-flower ever (personal problem). Hibiscus need special lighting and you may need 2-3 plants to swap in & out of the cage to keep them going indoors. Tradescantia species (wandering jew) have small discrete flowers. Tillandsia species (air plants) can survive in a cage but need to be in the top portion to get enough light.
The best bang for your buck is going to be plants with colorful leaves. The crotons offer yellows and some reds.

I use a climbing vine plant called star jasmine that blooms small white flowers. Its pretty and also grows all on the walls of the enclosure, and serves as extra vines for my chameleon to climb on. You have to rig up something for it grow onto though. I've put a sort of green plastic chicken-wire mesh (I'm blanking on the actual name of it) and its been attaching itself pretty well, with the help of some garden wire too. It might be hard to rig up in established cage though.

Also here's a master list of safe plants. ^^ https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

Last edited:
I don't think it is prudent to use Solanum sp. in animal enclosures. Solanum alkaloids have many negative effects on animal physiology, especially if eaten regularly.

Back
Top Bottom