Is this a hibiscus tree?

Rlc1994

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have 2 trees in my front yard about 7-8 feet that bloom pink and purple flowers every year mid summer and it dawned on me that they looked like hibiscus trees. Wasn’t sure and started looking at photos online and I’d say I’m 99% sure that they are in fact hibiscus trees but just wanted some people’s thoughts on here what they think. They aren’t in bloom yet but I took a picture of the buds and leaves. BAA35C54-5AE0-4255-AFA3-6F1E80AE5296.jpeg

I live in Florida and there are Hibiscus everywhere...but for some reason I can’t tell by just looking at these leaves lol. Normally the buds don’t stay on after they flower. They will die and fall off. If you get any flowers I would definitely be able to tell. Here is a pic of one of my trees.

Attachments

• 1639B045-2231-49CB-BA16-1D5FA150FC85.jpeg
    1639B045-2231-49CB-BA16-1D5FA150FC85.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 169
I live in Florida and there are Hibiscus everywhere...but for some reason I can’t tell by just looking at these leaves lol. Normally the buds don’t stay on after they flower. They will die and fall off. If you get any flowers I would definitely be able to tell. Here is a pic of one of my trees.
I know I wish I had flower pictures but it doesn’t flower until around mid summer. I’ve seen the flowers and I’ve looked online they look very similar to what my trees look like. It would be nice if they were because I hear they are great for adding to the gutloading recipes

They are good for gutloading but I would hold off until you are 100% sure, because who knows, if its not hibiscus, it could be something toxic for chameleons. Better to be safe than sorry.
Oh I’m definitely not taking any chances until I know 100%.This is when I wish I had a friend that was into horticulture haha I’m horrible with identifying plants they all look the same to me. Something tells me this is a hibiscus though from all the photos I’ve looked at online and the blooms I’ve seen every year in the yard they look very alike. I’ll just have to wait until they bloom to really take a closer look.

I just made an account on a horticulture and gardening forum and I’m going to ask and show pictures and see what they think. So far I’ve gotten one reply saying the leaves and seed pods match that to a rose of Sharon or hardy hibiscus

My ability to ID plants out of bloom is a little shaky, but I'd agree with it most likely being a hardy hibiscus. We have a bunch planted by the mall with purple and pink blooms, and the same foliage/seed pod. :)

Aside, I might have to join a horticulture/gardening forum myself... I have a few plants that for the life of me I can't identify!

It is possibly a Rose of Sharon. Here is what I have found:
View attachment 231956
View attachment 231957

Do you think this is it?
From the reply I got on the one horticulture forum he identified it is a rose of Sharon hibiscus tree. These are the leaves online of a Sharon hibiscus I’d say they match with the leaves of my photo. I probably won’t feed them to any of my bugs just yet though I’d like to see the flowers first when they bloom that will give me more information but from the information I’ve gathered I would say we have a rose of Sharon hibiscus. C3524F17-41E3-4110-84CB-C62884F69AB1.png

After reading through those awful symptoms and seeing that it is in fact poisonous i will not feed to my bugs or chameleon. That’s a bummer to bad it wasn’t a safe hibiscus I have 2 of them in my yard would of been nice to pinch a few leaves flowers every so often for gutloading.

I use this app, Plant Snap. Comes in handy for plant identification. It's free and I think you get maybe 10 snaps a month. Worth checking out. Screenshot_20190512-050028_Google Play Store.jpg

So for my knowledge. I was under the impression that the only Hibiscus that is considered "safe" for chams is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, Common names: china rose, shoe flower, hibiscus...
Is this correct then? I have searched high and low for this particular one and can not find it available. I looked at online sites as well and they do not have this particular one.

I believe you are correct Beman. I believe I saw one of that Family if species at my local Lowe’s they all looked pretty dead though haha. I’d try tree and garden centers around you if you have any locally you might have luck there. This is a post I found on the forums while searching around. AF54C5CC-1D9E-4972-A7B9-D8F0AC2C7790.png

Back
Top Bottom