Is this a Dubia roach?

I catch these and they have been awesome feeders to my Jackson for over a year now. They look like Dubia roaches but everyone says Dubias don't climb side walls. These can climb just about anything which confuses me... it means no feeder cup will work (which isn't a huge deal) do you think this is just a slightly different species since I am in hawaii ? See photo . Mahalo for your help

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-25-20-06-29.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-25-20-06-29.png
    967.9 KB · Views: 282
They look like the species commonly called water bugs, and they will emit a vinegar-like smell, if they are. They are not dubia and using roaches caught near human dwellings is not a great idea. Roaches are very resistant to poison and could be carrying quite a bit and you are feeding this, as well as whatever garbage the roach may have ingested. Collect them and breed your own, clean feeders, if they work for you.

I agree, if they are a type of roach, breeding them and then feeding the young or next generation is safest. Dubias can technically climb things, but they have to be rough surfaces. That is definitely not a dubia however.

dubias usually have wings, to glide downwards, that one doesn't. ik that female dubias dont have wings. but female dubias are lighter in color so dubia is crossed out :D

Cool thanks guys.. Im not worried about pesticides , I've been using these for a year I get them from a remote area and the cham is thriving. I usually purge them for a bit and gut load them prior to feeding. Maybe I will try breeding them at some point. Thanks again

I wouldn't be worried about pesticides so much as parasites. Chameleons can deal with parasites just fine as long as it is healthy but any sort of stress or illness can cause the parasite population to explode and become unmanageable. And I'm just talking about intestinal parasites. There is the possibility of lung parasites and others as well which are worse and a pain to deal with. If you live on Hawaii finding a chameleon knowledgeable vet can be a problem too. Remember that wild chameleons usually only live to be a few years usually 3 at most so parasites aren't much of a problem.

I agree, if they are a type of roach, breeding them and then feeding the young or next generation is safest. Dubias can technically climb things, but they have to be rough surfaces. That is definitely not a dubia however.

I have finally sucess fully breeded these ! Very exciting ! Lol

Back
Top Bottom