Is this a burn?

SKYxCAPTAIN

Hello everyone I’ve been away from my house for a little bit and I came home and checked on my chams. I saw what looks to be a burn on his back but it also looks like he’s shedding so I don’t know if it is a burn and a shed or just a shed. Any feedback would be great thanks!

Attachments

• 3B6ED651-0B74-4892-9070-FFBA3C650C84.jpeg
    3B6ED651-0B74-4892-9070-FFBA3C650C84.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 56
  • 089FE820-9FF1-4769-BFED-6B5156888209.jpeg
    089FE820-9FF1-4769-BFED-6B5156888209.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 65
Looks like a light burn.

Kinda stages of burns:

Says light colored vs rest of the skin, for a few weeks= light first degree
Is a bit swelled vs rest of the skin= first degree
Is oozing or has sweat beads around the area after several days= second degree, odds are will need some type of cream to prevent infection

Any of the above is a first/second degree burn that doesnt need much attention. If its beyond that you have tissue damage and will have pieces sloughing off that wont grow back, and will need antibiotic cream.

Looks like a light burn.

Kinda stages of burns:

Says light colored vs rest of the skin, for a few weeks= light first degree
Is a bit swelled vs rest of the skin= first degree
Is oozing or has sweat beads around the area after several days= second degree, odds are will need some type of cream to prevent infection

Any of the above is a first/second degree burn that doesnt need much attention. If its beyond that you have tissue damage and will have pieces sloughing off that wont grow back, and will need antibiotic cream.
So it looks like a light burn so in a few weeks it should heal over time. I lowered the branch he uses to get some heat so this won’t happen again.

This is a burn. Applying silver sulfadiazine cream daily is the best treatment for a burn. Will help to prevent loss of spikes and infection.

Definitely a burn. Minor burns can be caused by longer exposure to a heat source that is a bit too hot and the animal does not recognize it as a problem. Need to focus on the temps at regular basking sites and see if one is too hot/close.

This is a burn. Applying silver sulfadiazine cream daily is the best treatment for a burn. Will help to prevent loss of spikes and infection.
It looks like it’s a shed so what would happen? And is there another med I can use I can’t find any locally to me?

It looks like it’s a shed so what would happen? And is there another med I can use I can’t find any locally to me?
Yeah if you are not used to seeing what burns look like then it would resemble a shed. However you can tell due to the line of discoloration and some of the really dark black tips to the spikes. It is not the worst burn I have seen though. What @Decadancin said above is what I would think too looking at this burn. If you can not get silver cream the next option would be plain neosporin without any additional pain med additives. This will help but if there is underlying infection that develops a vet visit would be needed to get the correct silver cream and possibly antibiotics.

Definitely a burn. Minor burns can be caused by longer exposure to a heat source that is a bit too hot and the animal does not recognize it as a problem. Need to focus on the temps at regular basking sites and see if one is too hot/close.
I must have accidentally moved a plant and I was cleaning and it must have been to close

Yes, this would work. Just keep an eye on the area to make sure it doesn’t get worse. If unsure, post some pics here.

You've gotten lots of great advice so far! Sometimes when we kick on our home heaters as it gets colder, the temps in our chameleon's enclosures go up as well. I'd make sure all of your temps are not hotter than 85F and be sure to measure a few inches above the branch where your chameleon's back would be. Wishing him a speedy recovery!

Back
Top Bottom