Is there such thing as too much uvb?

I was just wondering if putting 2 reptisun 5.0 bulbs across the top of my 2x2x4 cage would be too much uvb? If so let me know!

I'm not sure, but if he has shady place to get a break from uvb, I'd think it's ok. I'm just saying they live under the sun in the wild.

I'd wait for a more experienced opinion before leaving both though. ;)

Why would you put two 5.0 when you could put a 10.0 and a plant bulb or 6500k day bulb or such in it? I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just curious. IMHO 5.0 reptisun or a 6% Arcadia is plenty. I believe there is such thing as too much but I wouldn't be able to tell you adverse effects. The higher UBV requirements are usually for desert type reptiles or reptiles with thicker skin.

I was just wondering if putting 2 reptisun 5.0 bulbs across the top of my 2x2x4 cage would be too much uvb? If so let me know!

The UV levels you will get will be = to that of one 10% Tube.:eek:

That *may* be OK IF it is going through screen and you use the "light and shade" method.

That is specifically, you have PLENTY of plants in the cage so the animal can get into shade & out of the UV light if they want to.

Of course... I am a bit bias, but one 6% Arcadia tube or one 12% Arcadia tube (if you have some good shade / lots of plants ) would be also a very good way to go.

I promote Arcadia because they are the best value. They may cost 30% more. BUT they last 12 mo. or longer... sometimes 100% longer than the other brands, so they end up being less expensive to use in the long run.:)

And--Just recently ZM has switched the manufacturing to China --
So now Arcadia are the only high quality German made bulb offered for sale in the US and Canada--
since ZooMid has switched the manufacturing of all their tubes to China along with Exoteara.

anyway... in summary, if you go with the 2 5.0's - PLEASE be careful you don't over do it and make sure they have plenty of USABLE shaded perches.
Perches directly under the light should be 12" away.

Sunburning ones animals is never a good thing so please just be careful.

CHECK with a Solarmeter if you can get your hands on one.

Sorry to rant, but I was just worried so I hope this helps you.

Thanks
Todd

www.lightyourreptiles.com

Let's play nice, now. ZooMid & Exoteara. :( I believe their names are ZooMed and Exo-Terra. They don't call you'll 'Light Your Herpes'.:eek: BURN!

LOL
Herpes...
that was funny!
:D
I was swigging gaitor aid when I read it and spat it out I laughed so hard!

OK.. so I apologize to exo and Zoo and the forum for innocently misspelling their names -

But I must ask if you are criticizing me for innocently misspelling their names -
why would you then do what you are scolding me for and call me light your herpes?
My mother always told me two wrongs don't make a right. :D

Cheers.:)
Todd

Last edited:
LOL
Herpes...
that was funny!
:D

OK.. so I apologize to exo and Zoo and the forum for innocently misspelling their names -

But I must ask if you are criticizing me for innocently misspelling their names -
why would you then do what you are scolding me for and call me light your herpes?
My mother always told me two wrongs don't make a right. :D

Cheers.:)
Todd
Anyone who has ever met me knows I love word play, hence my ID 'junglefries'. Friends and I used to play a game of mix and match (ie: foods: turtlewing soup, fried snakelegs, sweet & sour possum gills, with a side order of junglefries, etc...) One mispelled competition, I could of let it go, but both. Either seemed intentional, word play, or someone needs a college refund. Thanks for having a sense of humor, and full well expect to be served revenge on my next screwup. :D

the thing to watch out for is that is enough sahde in the cage otherwise their eyes can get damge of it

My females use a 10.0 with HEAVY foliage. Males get the 5.0 in 2 locations with medium foliage. One male bulb is always slighly older than the other, in case they want smaller amounts of UVB. All mine see outdoor sun from May - October, whenever possible.

What is this gaitor aid? Oh, you mean Gatorade. :D Stop this now, too easy. (I can't remember the tv show this is from, but 'Quit Playin'. Quit playin.' :eek: Thank you'll, I am back on in 30min. :D

Why would you put two 5.0 when you could put a 10.0 and a plant bulb or 6500k day bulb or such in it? I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just curious. IMHO 5.0 reptisun or a 6% Arcadia is plenty. I believe there is such thing as too much but I wouldn't be able to tell you adverse effects. The higher UBV requirements are usually for desert type reptiles or reptiles with thicker skin.

I like the 2 ReptiSun 5.0s to create a larger lighted areas in the cage, not for an increased intensity of UV. As already mentioned, one bulb is usually older than the other. Sorry for the confusion. And, all my cages are larger than most keepers' and always have dense foliage. I have never had eye issues due to lighting either.

I like the 2 ReptiSun 5.0s to create a larger lighted areas in the cage, not for an increased intensity of UV. As already mentioned, one bulb is usually older than the other. Sorry for the confusion. And, all my cages are larger than most keepers' and always have dense foliage. I have never had eye issues due to lighting either.

Hi Carlton
Yes, you are correct IF the 2 x 5.0 are in separate fixtures separated from each other -- it would do just as you say... spread "5.0" out over a larger area and only where the light "over-lapped" would there be a possibility of it being "doubled" as to what it would be in that particular area using just one bulb.

However,
I would want to caution folks because two bulbs in the same fixture sharing one reflector...
it will indeed be doubled and you will get a reading close to or equal to that of one 10.0 tube.

Ahhhh, and guess what?
I will demonstrate that one of these days when I get my studio going and YouTube channel set up.
It is coming along...( but so is Christmas. LOL)
Then....
my smiling mug will entertain the masses as I flit about playing with UV bulbs, Solarmeters and fixtures sort of like a mad scientist on a sugar high.

It is a work in process.
LightYourReptiles.com
YouTube Studio below getting set up.

Cheers!
Todd

Attachments

• lyr studio.jpg
    lyr studio.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 128
What is this gaitor aid? Oh, you mean Gatorade. :D Stop this now, too easy. (I can't remember the tv show this is from, but 'Quit Playin'. Quit playin.' :eek: Thank you'll, I am back on in 30min. :D

Hi Jungleflies-

you do crack me up too.
;)

Yes, In real life do have a sense of humor.:D

You and others will get to experience it one of these days when the LightYourReptiles.com youtube chanel is in full swing.

Oh trust me....
I will post about it when it goes "live". LOL!
Nobody ever said I slack on self promotion.

But Seriously, I do hope everyone finds it very informative. I am going to try my best.
And I plan to have guests and experts in many fields on from time to time.

(once I figure out how to operate the camera and edit it -- aaargh. so many hurdles. lol)

Thank you.
Todd

Back
Top Bottom