Is there a way to extend the larvae state of bsfl?

I think hornworms are one of the few insects that can hold a lot of gutload. I put mine in a container with repashy bug burger prior to being fed off. I can see the bug burger get squeezed out when he takes his bites.

With crickets, dubias, superworms, BSFLs I am not too sure about how well gutloading does..maybe an overall balanced diet does the most.

Pretty sure there is an ammonia odor that BSFL give off when they eat and subsequently poop just as a fair warning.

I havent personally experienced this as I dont feed my BSFL anything. There's a podcast episode on chameleon academy about BSFL

Pretty sure there is an ammonia odor that BSFL give off when they eat and subsequently poop just as a fair warning.

I havent personally experienced this as I dont feed my BSFL anything. There's a podcast episode on chameleon academy about BSFL
YES THIS!!!!!!!!!

I never used to feed my BSFL and then one day I was like awww poor little guys... So I fed them some bug burger. 24 hours later and let me tell you they smelled like they came straight out of a garbage can. :sick: I will never feed them again.

What do you mean? That you have to have 6 chams to eat them fast enough before they get too big?
Pretty much... You ever buy a pod of hornworms with 1 cham? Not good. Especially in summer months. I can get away with it in winter months because they don't arrive huge from the heat.
I also don't feed horns that are longer then an inch and a half to help prevent him from being bitten. Not up for mouth rot from a hornworm bite.

Pretty much... You ever buy a pod of hornworms with 1 cham? Not good. Especially in summer months. I can get away with it in winter months because they don't arrive huge from the heat.
I also don't feed horns that are longer then an inch and a half to help prevent him from being bitten. Not up for mouth rot from a hornworm bite.
Nope. I was planning on ordering a 20-pack for my 1 little guy. Thank you for saving me from this mistake!

You can slow the growth by keeping them cool, 50-55F, same as with BSFL's. Take the ones you want to feed off and place them at room temp or warmer with food and a few days later feed them off.

I'll buy the pods of 12 hornworms for my 1 chameleon and keep it in the fridge for a day, out for a day (in my 75 degree apartment), and keep rotating it so they last longer. Yeah, I end up feeding some smaller worms and some larger worms, but it works great for me. Sometimes one worm won't make it, but usually they're all good to feed.
BSFL I'm still trying to figure out, haha.

Everyone is pretty spot on regarding BSFL. They will expel ammonia as they process proteins if fed. This is common when we ship as they are removed from feed a day early and develop some waste as they travel. It is strong, but dissipates once ventilated.

We still feel it is best to dust with vitamins and not change up your routine. Although BSFL have a higher calcium/phos ratio, they lack some fat soluble vitamins that your cham needs.

Refrigeration is possible, but everyone has their kitchen fridge at different temps and will yield varying results. Safest bet is a wine cooler at 55 degrees, or in a cooler spot in your home.

Smaller sizes will last 4+ weeks at room temperature. As you move into the Larges, they will have a tendency to pupate sooner in the drier conditions.

Back
Top Bottom