Is there a way to check if my chameleon egg is alive??

Attachments

• C2D4D20F-46D0-41BC-8642-EC31812FCACC.jpeg
    C2D4D20F-46D0-41BC-8642-EC31812FCACC.jpeg
    417.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 8F6DC068-AC8F-40CA-9A01-FBC38F5BC613.jpeg
    8F6DC068-AC8F-40CA-9A01-FBC38F5BC613.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 102
Not sure if this helps, but have you tried shining a torch through it? like they do with snake eggs, chicken eggs that kind of thing?

I heard your not supposed to
Balls, not even if its a low light? as surely a flash of a phone is bright on them, youd think for a split second looking it would be okay :/ is there a weight they're supposed to b, as in when they were laid the average weight is blah kind of thing

When was it laid I've gotten them from same place chameleon101.com. had one hatch so far. Here pic of other one I got from them was laid 7/1. In last few days it got those spots on it

Attachments

• 20220121_234410.jpg
    20220121_234410.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 74
Balls, not even if its a low light? as surely a flash of a phone is bright on them, youd think for a split second looking it would be okay :/ is there a weight they're supposed to b, as in when they were laid the average weight is blah kind of thing
Candling is ok, but one needs to be extremely careful not to turn the egg at all. It isn’t the light that’s harmful, but the movement. Unlike chicken eggs, reptile eggs can’t be turned or the babies can drown.

When was it laid I've gotten them from same place chameleon101.com. had one hatch so far. Here pic of other one I got from them was laid 7/1. In last few days it got those spots on it
Was the egg that hatched laid on 7/1 as well? I have one that was laid on 8/1! I've been waiting impatiently..

My 2nd one getting ready to hatch now it's got the water drops on it. Hopefully it makes it. So 27 past date on top

Last edited:
Never seen chameleons sold as eggs before and not sure I agree with it... Hope you have plenty of fruit flies ready.

I do 3 that are producing. And as soon as hatches if makes it going to order pin heads. I have dart frogs so always have fruit flies

Yes, shine a bright light through it or even set it gently on your phone’s light. You will see veins along the inside of the shell if it’s developing. If it’s very close to hatching it may just appear dark throughout as the baby takes up most of the space. If it just kind of glows a faint yellow then there’s nothing in it. I shined lights through a great many eggs that hatched just fine. Just do it gently and don’t turn the egg.

I have seen this selling of eggs fad and I am very skeptical. Even if it hatches a neonate chameleon is fragile and not the easiest to care for. I feel like it sets people up for a very hard intro to chams and most people struggle with their first chameleon even when getting a healthy one. Read up a lot and make sure you can get fruit flies easily when/if it hatches. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom