Is there a quick way to tell if calciworms aren't dead?

wodesorel

Established Member
I always have to wait 15 minutes or more to see if the calciworms I fished out of the container are actually alive. She will eat anything that goes into the feeder cup, so I always check to make sure they move first. But they are so inactive! There's always three or four that don't move, so I toss them to be safe. With other feeders it's really easy to tell when they're dead, but the calciworms always look dead to start with. Any way to make this easier? It's really becoming a pain every day.

I have a small mesh scoop. Looks like a shovel. I dump a couple in there and rinse them under water that is on the warm side of lukewarm. They will start to wiggle around!

I tried wetting them before thinking for sure they would react, but they still won't move right away. I still have to wait around 15 minutes for them to start wiggling. :/

I pull out the one's I am going to feed to my panther and rinse them in lukewarm water regardless if they look dead or not (to get the bedding off of them). I feed off all the one's that move (and look alive) but set aside the one's that don't move (generally the black one's) in a small empty cup. I check them periodically to see if the've moved at all. If so, I will feed them again... if not I toss them. Most of the time they end up moving and are just dormant... but I always take the safe route to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom