is there a chance....rescue?

wafflesmom

I have lots of experience in reptile and now have a rescued veiled chameleon that was signed over to the clinic I work at.

This guy is a male. Had a prolapsed and has MDB.
We reduced the prolapsed, sutured it, did fluids b/c he was dehydrated. Also antibiotcs. Taking him back Monday for xrays to see what his bone density is.
He has poop/peed today thru the sutures and is drinking. I made a drip using a clean coke bottle. Since he did pass poop/pee, I gave him a dusted/gut loaded cricket that he quickly went for.
Yesterday, he couldn't stand and barely moved so that's some improvment.
He hasn't changed dark or even look stressed and looks better today. Eveb starting to shed some. I have a powersun bulb over him, and he seems to love it. As soon as I turned it on, he was under it. I have a temp gauge and humdity gauge to make sure its all good..

Anyone ever had this problem? If so, am I doing good in trying to save him or just prolonging euthansia??

There's always a chance that it can work...watch for signs of him going down hill though. Fungal infections can often set in after a prolapse is corrected.

The quickest way IMHO to get the MBD corrected is through calcium injections. When the blood calcium levels are high enough, calcitonin can be given to draw the calcium rapidly back into the bones too.

Ok, will check and see if we have injectable at work tomorrow.

I was looking thru the DIY section and got an idea. I have MANY empty bird cages from small to very large that I could easily do some screen on the inside.
With him having MBD is it better for him to be where he can't climb up high incase he falls? He's stronger today but I sure would hate for him to fall.

Back
Top Bottom