Is the smell of vinegar bad for chameleons

Toothless the cham

Established Member
So I just found out that my cat was peeing in my room. I went to get some cleaning supplies and poured vinegar on the pee. I covered it with paper towels to let it soak and dry off. I also tried some all-purpose cleaner before the vinegar. So my question is could it Kill or seriously injure or even cause any harm to my chameleons. I know chameleons are extremely sensitive to some smells and Aromas that can possibly be in the air. So I'm just concerned about vinegar or any of the all purpose cleaner that I used. Can any members of the chameleon forums tell me if it's going to do anything bad to my chameleons.

I’d be more concerned about the all purpose cleaner then the vinegar but as long as you didn’t spray it at the cage they should be fine.

Be careful when using different cleaning solutions on stuff. Some things can mix and have a very bad reaction.

sucks about the cat peeing in your room. Once they start peeing somewhere they will do it forever. I had to buy special paint for around my basement. I’ll never own a cat again lol.

also if your cat doesn’t usually pee in your house and this is new behaviour and continues you may want to bring it to a vet to get checked out. They sometimes do it to let you know their sick.

Last edited:
Get some stuff from amazon... i forget what its called, but lots of brands available on there. Its a bio active spray that breaks down the smell. It really works. Micro organisms supposedly eat what causes the urine smell. If you search cat pee spray you’ll find it quickly lol

I'd suggest looking into an enzymatic spray developed with pets in mind. Pet stores have a mind boggling array of them!

But to answer your question, vinegar is harmless. I use vinegar as one of the primary disinfecting agents in my bird cages. The multi-purpose cleaner would be more concerning health wise, though unlikely to cause any damage if it wasn't used near the cage.

I'd suggest looking into an enzymatic spray developed with pets in mind. Pet stores have a mind boggling array of them!

But to answer your question, vinegar is harmless. I use vinegar as one of the primary disinfecting agents in my bird cages. The multi-purpose cleaner would be more concerning health wise, though unlikely to cause any damage if it wasn't used near the cage.

Thats it! Couldnt think of what it was!

Back
Top Bottom