Is that an egg?

Frigga

Established Member
Hi everyone! So my little rescue baby, Hela, is now about 9-10 months old. She's my first female, so the whole egg laying makes me anxious. Her colors have changed a bit, mostly dark bars and not so drastically that I thought she was showing receptive colors, but then again I only have what info I've been able to research. But this morning I noticed a little lump on her side that looks very much like an egg!
I have a lay box ready to put in her cage, I just haven't yet cause I didn't think she was ready. She hasn't shown any other signs like lack of appetite, restlessness, digging around the bottom of her cage. But the lay bin is going in her cage this afternoon! But what really gives me anxiety over this is I leave for vacation in 2 days, my father in law is going to come to check on my reptiles while I'm gone, but now I'm going to be stressing about her the whole time I'm gone.
So does that look like an egg to you guys?
Also I included a before and after pic, the before was 2 months ago, shortly after I got her, and the after was a week ago.

Attachments

• 20181003_091606.jpg
    20181003_091606.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 20180928_183835.jpg
    20180928_183835.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 192
That’s exactly what that looks like. But it also could be that she needs to poop. My girl only poops about once a week so you can actually see her belly bulging sometimes. When did she poop last?

That’s exactly what that looks like. But it also could be that she needs to poop. My girl only poops about once a week so you can actually see her belly bulging sometimes. When did she poop last?
I had the poop thought shortly after I posted this, she does poop pretty regularly, typically from everyday to every couple of days at most, and she pooped yesterday.
The bulge appears to be on the other side now, or maybe it is more then one egg? (Or maybe I'm just tripping, that's definitely a possibility lol)
She doesn't like me coming up to her cage at all, so I have to be sneaky while checking for lumps.
Either way, poop or eggs, the lay bin is going in tonight.
I'm just extra nervous since I'm going to be gone. Hopefully she holds off on laying till I get back.

Eggs don’t develop one at a time, so if she has one, she has more. I don’t think you have to worry about her laying while your gone, she isn’t the right shape yet.

So it's been a month. Maybe I'm just a worry wart, but there's been no changes.
How long does it usually take to develop eggs? Or do you think maybe I was wrong about it being an egg at all? I know she's gone down to her lay bin but has never digged or shown any interest in it. She's still eating and pooping normally. Still just looks like the one lump, although it's not always visible (see picture attached), should I be worried about this? At what point should I take her to the vet again? Or am I stressing over nothing and she's still working on making her eggs?

Attachments

• 20181104_200954.jpg
    20181104_200954.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 108
Month to develop eggs. If she is still eating/drinking/pooping/active I don’t think you have much to worry about.

Last edited:
30 days to develop eggs that last picture she looks fine you can usually tell when they got eggs next thing you know it’ll look like they swallowed a golf ball lol... I think your good tho

Thanks guys! I kept waiting for her to get fat and lumpy and it just never happened. Instead my worry just increased lol I think I stress a little extra over her just because she had such a rough beginning and I don't know what effects that might have on her long term. And she's so little (especially compared to my male)

But yes she's still acting normal, she hates me as usual. And everything is ready for her to lay whenever she's ready, and I'll sit by worrying then too I'm sure (y)
Thanks again! I don't know how I'd manage without this forum! (I'd be broke from too many useless vet appointments)
And a another picture cause she's just so adorable :love:

Attachments

• 20181105_083531.jpg
    20181105_083531.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 108
Starting to see some receptive colors in there, won’t be too long. Keep an eye on her and update whenever you notice changes, she’s beautiful.
Thank you! She has changed a lot since the day I brought her home, not even recognizable as the same chameleon. She looked so sickly and sad, now she's beautiful and mad lol
I'll keep you posted when the time comes!

Back
Top Bottom