Is something wrong?

Chefbrittyp

I have had my vieled chameleon for 3 weeks now, estimated age 3-4 months. He always stays on his basking branch, Only venturing once or twice a day to eat or drink. He never hides during the day, even though he has a ton of foliage. He has, over the last week or so, also stopped hiding at night and stays on that same branch. Since last night he has been laying down almost all day like he's sleeping but with his eyes open and has only eaten what I have hand fed him. Could something be wrong or am i just a paranoid new parent?
Info: veiled, 3-4mo.
Eating apx 15-20 crickets(gut loaded with carrots, kale, oats, dried seaweed) per day plus 3-4 dubia roaches, couple super worms, couple wax worms, and meal worms. Crickets dusted with calcium d3 3x per week. (I read that was bad but was what the pet store had recommended so I switched to straight calcium 3 days ago)
16×16×30 screen about 75-80° with basking area 90° humidity averaging 40% with reptile fogger on a few hours during the peak of the day, misting directly 3x per day. He HATES being misted. Will drink when i wall away from the cage.
Using 5.0 repti bulb for uvb and basking light with uva 13 hours per day. Ceramic bulb at night to keep cage at 65°
Handled apx 1x per week when cleaning his cage.
20190121_120040.jpg

I have cleaned and sanitized the cage twice, most recently this past Monday.
Last shed 2.5 weeks ago.

Thanks in advance!!
20190121_120040.jpg

Attachments

• 20190123_230359.jpg
    20190123_230359.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 104
I have had my vieled chameleon for 3 weeks now, estimated age 3-4 months. He always stays on his basking branch, Only venturing once or twice a day to eat or drink. He never hides during the day, even though he has a ton of foliage. He has, over the last week or so, also stopped hiding at night and stays on that same branch. Since last night he has been laying down almost all day like he's sleeping but with his eyes open and has only eaten what I have hand fed him. Could something be wrong or am i just a paranoid new parent?
Info: veiled, 3-4mo.
Eating apx 15-20 crickets(gut loaded with carrots, kale, oats, dried seaweed) per day plus 3-4 dubia roaches, couple super worms, couple wax worms, and meal worms. Crickets dusted with calcium d3 3x per week. (I read that was bad but was what the pet store had recommended so I switched to straight calcium 3 days ago)
16×16×30 screen about 75-80° with basking area 90° humidity averaging 40% with reptile fogger on a few hours during the peak of the day, misting directly 3x per day. He HATES being misted. Will drink when i wall away from the cage.
Using 5.0 repti bulb for uvb and basking light with uva 13 hours per day. Ceramic bulb at night to keep cage at 65°
Handled apx 1x per week when cleaning his cage.View attachment 221862
I have cleaned and sanitized the cage twice, most recently this past Monday.
Last shed 2.5 weeks ago.

Thanks in advance!!View attachment 221862
Hi just reading your post nice chameleon by the way just a little tip as I'm all so new to keeping a chameleon this forums has people that have had chameleons for a long time and will give you lost of help? But I do no chameleons don't need heat at night as there like it a bit cold at night as long as your household is not to cold but it depends were u live. Calcium with out d3 every feed w/d3 twice a month,& u will have to give him a bigger Cage,there only need lights on for 10-12 hours day he should be ok if u only had him just a few weeks it may just take him a few day to get used to he cage? But if you think there no change my be take him to a vet. But I no were your coming from as im all ways keeping a eye on my chameleon lol.

Hi just reading your post nice chameleon by the way just a little tip as I'm all so new to keeping a chameleon this forums has people that have had chameleons for a long time and will give you lost of help? But I do no chameleons don't need heat at night as there like it a bit cold at night as long as your household is not to cold but it depends were u live. Calcium with out d3 every feed w/d3 twice a month,& u will have to give him a bigger Cage,there only need lights on for 10-12 hours day he should be ok if u only had him just a few weeks it may just take him a few day to get used to he cage? But if you think there no change my be take him to a vet. But I no were your coming from as im all ways keeping a eye on my chameleon lol.

Thanks for the response. My house is about 60 over night but his gauge was reading mid 50s so I got the ceramic to help in the winter months. I use it in combination with the light during the colder days to keep the cage warmer throughout because we keep out house heated to 62° and the screen let's a lot of heat out.

He was dehydrated judging by his poop. Acting normal the next day and allowing me to spray him directly ever since finally. He won't drink from leaves, only off the screen so I need to come up with a different dripper system. He's shedding today and very active so I think I was being paranoid mostly. I still think its strange that he doesn't hide at all but maybe he's
20190126_123830.jpg
just weird.

Thanks for the response. My house is about 60 over night but his gauge was reading mid 50s so I got the ceramic to help in the winter months. I use it in combination with the light during the colder days to keep the cage warmer throughout because we keep out house heated to 62° and the screen let's a lot of heat out.

He was dehydrated judging by his poop. Acting normal the next day and allowing me to spray him directly ever since finally. He won't drink from leaves, only off the screen so I need to come up with a different dripper system. He's shedding today and very active so I think I was being paranoid mostly. I still think its strange that he doesn't hide at all but maybe he's View attachment 221972just weird.
60 or over is ok for them at night as there are cold blood reptiles so don't think he will be cold? there don't always hide mine is out and about all day. and at night he go fine some were to sleep like he little plant or just on the side of he cage depends on him good luck

No heat at night unless house is below 55. You need a real gutload, try cricket crack or Bug Burger.

Are you sure it’s a he?

Back
Top Bottom