Is something wrong?

ChamyLove

Your Chameleon - Ambilobe panther chameleon, about 8 months old. In my care for just over 3 months
Handling - Never, trying to start hand feeding
Feeding - 12-14 small sized crickets offered a day, 2 mealworms. Every other day free ranged/cup fed. gutloading on a cycle: calcium +d3, Vitamins, nothing (I know I should have a calcium w/out d3, but I haven't been able to get some at my pet store)
Supplements - Flunkers calcium w/ d3, and herptivite daily vitamins. schedule described above
Watering - Mist w/ water twice a day for 6-7 minutes each. Dripper runs for about 4 hours, set 1-2x per day. I see him licking up water drops from leaves after misting, but not very often from his dripper.
Fecal Description - about 85% brown, 15% white-ish yellow. Drops in small abouts, about 2-3 times per day. Never tested for parasites
History - About a month ago, for 3 days, he stopped eating and drinking, and would sit as if he were going to sleep, but his eyes would always be open, he stopped this. So I figured nothing was wrong. This was about 1-2 days afer I had moved his cage, so I figured it might be him coping with the change.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Zoo Med screan terrarium, 18x18x36
Lighting - 20" Zoo Med uvb bulb, Zoo Med daylight blue bulb basking bulb 60w
Temperature - Room temp about 70-75F. Basking 87F (it will heat up in a day or 2 so I have a lower wattage bulb in) Lowest overnight temp is about 71F. I have a zoo med thermometer/hydrometer about half way up the cage to measure room temp, and humidity, and a Zoo Med didgital thermometer for the basking area
Humidity - WHumidity is about 60, when misting, it get to aroung 85. I mist twice a day for about 6 minutes. And have a dripper running most the day. Humidity gauge listed above
Plants - I have a live ficus plant, that fills up most of the cage.
Placement - My cage is in a room at the end of a hallway. I plan on moving it back into my room. No fans in the room, but good air flow. Slightly high traffic, but I plan to move it within a month.Top of cage is 6 1/2 feet off the ground. When moved into my room, it will be around 5 1/5 feet.
Location - Vancouver, Washington, USA
Current Problem - So today my panther Oliver was completely normal. around 3:30, my sister had some friends over. Since Oliver is in a room at the end of a hallway, I figured he might be a little freaked out, because he crawled behind some fake foliage in the top left corner of the cage. at first he was just chillin there so I didn't think much of it. I went back about 15 minutes later, and he was in his curled up sleeping position. I cant really see weather or not his eyes are closed, because it is really dark in that corner of his cage. My sister's friends have been gone for about 45 minutes and he is still like that. I went in again, and I saw his little eye. I'm not ure though if they were already open, or if they were closed already. Do you think something is wrong with him, or is he just still trying to hide because of my sister's friends?:confused:

Sometimes they will go into sleeping position quite a bit before it is dark. That is normal. You really should not be giving the d3 daily or even every other day. You are giving a multivitamin daily or every other day also? If so, you need to stop and give both of those twice a month. You can order calcium without d3 online. LLL reptile has it.

Sometimes they will go into sleeping position quite a bit before it is dark. That is normal. You really should not be giving the d3 daily or even every other day. You are giving a multivitamin daily or every other day also? If so, you need to stop and give both of those twice a month. You can order calcium without d3 online. LLL reptile has it.

I'll defiantly do that!! Then, would I dust his food everyday with calcium w/out d3?Or would some days I still not dust them at all?

What the majority of us do is calcium without d3 at every feeding. So if you are feeding every other day, then it would be every other day. Then the calcium with d3 twice a month and the multivitamin twice monthly also. This formula seems to work well. You have to remember they get d3 naturally from exposure to the uvb bulb, or the sun if you take them outside. So you don't want to over do it with something artificial. Personally my chameleons are outside everyday of the week and spend many hours outside, so I do not even do any d3, but that is just my personal situation.

Thank you! I will certainly get some calcium w/out d3.

Also just an update: Oli is back up and moving. I think he might have just been trying to get away from all the people. :)

Back
Top Bottom