Is something wrong with my cham?

regd87

Hey everyone!

So I got my first chameleon yesterday! I am super excited as I've always wanted one but never had the opportunity. I got her from my local reptile store and got everything(i think) I need. She was starting to shed when I took her home.

I set up her tank,and put lots of vines and foilage along with branches leading up to a basking spot etc. After setting up the tank I put her in on one of the vines and she kinda looked around and climbed up some fake leaves. It was around 7pm so I had the light timers set for 8am-8pm. So she only really had an hour before the lights turned off to explore her enclosure. After leaving my room for a bit I came back and she was sleeping on the corner of the screen enclosure(NOT in any of the various foilage or on a branch etc..) I thought that maybe she was just not sure of her enclosure...

This morning I had to goto class around 9am, when I woke up the lights were on and she was on a branch, so I fed her crickets and misted the tank and I saw her eat a couple crickets before I had to go.

However since mondays are my long days 10am-6pm- i didnt get home until 6pm, when I got home she was on the opposite side of the tank and AGAIN clinging to the screen and not near any foilage! She was also on the opposite side of the basking light and was out of sight of the UVB light I have set up, so she was pearched in the top corner of the tank.

For those of you who managed to read my long poorly written story.....Should I be WORRIED? I am afraid that there is something up that she doesnt like, because I have yet to see her bask in the basking spot I set up or even go in the foilage....As I type this now she is in the exact same spot she was earlier almost 3 hours ago! and looks to be sleeping.

Is this just stress of a new home? or is their something wrong?

Welcome! It certainly could be just a cham getting used to a new cage, but let's check your husbandry. Please fill out the following, and pictures of both cham and cage would be super helpful.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

is she in a glass tank, you need a screen enclosure, as every time she sees her reflection she thinks it's a preditor, and it stresses them, get a nice all screen enclosure,

When you first get them they will exhibit some strange behavior because it is a new environment for them. they will hang on the screen and even from the top of the screen upside for awhile. Mine even slept upside down for the night when I first got him. It is a stressful time for them being in a new home. Chameleons, should never be sleeping during the day. It was getting close to evening when wrote this so if he was looking as if to go to sleep then that would be ok because it is about that time. I don't think you have anything to be worried about.

Beat me to it...

Here is a link that would be very helpful for you to read:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/general-care-true-chameleons-5943/

Also it is best for people on here to help you if you fill out the "ask for help form" this way that can see more detail and better assist you.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

lol... while I was daydreaming someone beat me to the "how to ask for help" ... I'm a slow poke but the other link on basica care for true chameleons would be great for you to read!

* Your Chameleon - It is a female, Vielded Chameleon

* Handling - only have handled it twice, once at the pet store yesterday and once when I put it in its enclosure.

* Feeding - Gutloaded crickets, I put in crickets in the morning so far. about 8.
* Supplements - repashy calcium is being dusted on the crickets before feeding.

* Watering - I am currently just misting the tank, I misted it once lastnight and twice today, once in the morning around 9am and once at night around 6pm. I also put an ice cube on top of the enclosure for it to drip down at 9am when I left. I have yet to see my chameleon drink! :(

* Fecal Description - I haven't seen any yet.

* History - its not too old probably about 3-4inches Snout to vent.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - it is a zoomed reptibreeze enclosure, it is 16x16x30

* Lighting - I have both the UVB and the basking day light on a timer from 8am-8pm, the UVB is a 13w 10.0 exo terra bulb, and the daylight one is a 50w sunglow(exo terra bulb)

* Temperature - I haven't taken a temp with the lights on, but room temp is around 74-76.

* Humidity - humidity in the tank is around 55-60% when misting around 80%
* Plants - all fake plants.

* Placement - It is in my room, it is around 3 feet off the ground on a little table.
* Location - canada, ontario.

Thought I would add, it also stil had a bit of shed stuck on its feet and a little on its back, Does it normally take more than 24hours to shed? I will be sure to read up tonight, I just want to make sure that nothing has to be done immediately to help her out.

HOPE THIS HELPS! thanks in advance for anyones help.

You need to trade that compact UVB bulb for a 5.0 linear flourescent tube. That one is way too strong and they are known to cause eye issues. Additionally, you need to get a digital thermometer. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. A digital thermometer with a probe is inexpensive. Your room temp is good, but you should have a basking spot around 80-90 degrees, depending on the age of your cham. Research supplements.

You need to trade that compact UVB bulb for a 5.0 linear flourescent tube. That one is way too strong and they are known to cause eye issues. Additionally, you need to get a digital thermometer. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. A digital thermometer with a probe is inexpensive. Your room temp is good, but you should have a basking spot around 80-90 degrees, depending on the age of your cham. Research supplements.

Ok, good to know, I will get one tomorrow, I have a digital thermometer, but just put it in now and dont want to turn the lights on and disturb the chameleon, so I don't know exact temps. I also have a temp gun that I can use, to get the basking spot temps.

Hey regd87 im a new cham owner myself, just got mine about a week ago now. It will definetly take some time before they get used to their new environment but as long as shes eating and drinking you really dont have too much to worry about. Give it about a week and she will be alright. Mine is actually getting more adventurous when i first brought my cham home it climbed up the side screen and straight into the foliage. That was the only time it climbed using the screen, however since then ive seen him use it more often.

Hey everyone,

I came home today and she was this time UPSIDE DOWN on the top of the tank directly under the 10.0 uvb light, I immediately changed the light fixture(today I got a 5.0 uvb linear fixture). Now im going to watch her for the next few hours and see what she does, however I have still yet to see her drink(i've been misting 2 times a day) but she seems to be eating all her crickets. And I have yet to see her use the basking spot. The basking spot temp is
88F, and the bottom of the tank is around 75.

anyways here are some pics of the basking spot, the overall tank and then my chameleon, she still has a few pieces of stuck shed on her, should I try to remove them? or should I just let them come off? how long does it normally take for them to shed?

Here is the basking spot

chameleonbaskingspot.jpg

The overall tank
chameleontank.jpg

Here is my chameleon, notice the shed skin stuck on her head and on her back.
chameleonshedstuck.jpg

I think it would be wise to put a real plant in there. She possibly would be more attracted to it and hang out more on the plant and transferring back and forth between it and the fake ones. Its good for their feet to get used to gripping different sized things... Also, maybe try and get your basking spot a little warmer. 90 or 95 F or so... but make sure that if your girl hangs upside down from the ceiling under the basking bulb that it is not directly on top of the screen... she'll get thermal burns : (

I think it would be wise to put a real plant in there. She possibly would be more attracted to it and hang out more on the plant and transferring back and forth between it and the fake ones. Its good for their feet to get used to gripping different sized things... Also, maybe try and get your basking spot a little warmer. 90 or 95 F or so... but make sure that if your girl hangs upside down from the ceiling under the basking bulb that it is not directly on top of the screen... she'll get thermal burns : (

i think the temps maybe too high to recommend:eek:

it is suggested for female veileds to get basking tempd of 80-85 general max, because once older , the high heat can increase her infertile egg clutches, which can become eggbound, and may shorten the life span, but for male veileds its ok i guess:eek:

yeah...no raising the temps. I think they could stand to be dropped a bit from what I've read. However, I second getting real plants in there. It's amazing how much easier things like humidity get when there's a real plant in the cage.

Reg, don't worry about the bit of stuck shed. I will most likely come off with the next shed. As she's still growing, that won't be terribly long. I sort of like that little bit poking off her forehead..it's jaunty.

You can try misting her more to hopefully help that shed come off, but unless it's around a limb or the tail, it's not dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom