is silicone harmful?

whysoez420

i made a dripper with a 2 liter, some tubing and a 2 way valve.
i used silicone on the outside to seal the tubing.
i used a bit smaller to drill the hole for the tubing so it was already tight to get in but i just wanted to seal it good. the guy at the pet store told me to use silicone but now I'm remembering people tell me not to listen to what they say.
if anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Depends on the type of silicone used. There is aquarium safe silicone that doesn't leech out anything toxic for fresh and saltwater fish, so should be safe for use.

Depends on the type of silicone used. There is aquarium safe silicone that doesn't leech out anything toxic for fresh and saltwater fish, so should be safe for use.

it just says weather proof silicone.
the back says GE silicone l and says it's 100% silicone.
not sure if any of that makes a difference.

marineland actually makes a special pet safe silicone i bought some yesterday at a local pet store not petco or petsmart tho

Do you have any pictures of the tube? The one you want is GE Silicone 1 (100% silicone) make sure it does not say mildew resistant as that stuff will leech chemicals. Also let it cure fully before you fill the dripper with water.

no do NOT use that it has a bunch of chemicals in it just because its waterproof doesn't mean its pet safe this is what i use. i paid 12$ for it

it says marineland at the top of it too

20130612_202948.jpg

listen to me ha i can promise you what i am saying is 100% true i dont know much about the other one but i bought this one at a petstore and it says harmless to fish and marineland is right on it. it is made for tanks for fish, its 100% pet safe i have used it on all my tanks that have needed it and never lost any pets its the only one i have been able to find that is truly pet safe

no do NOT use that it has a bunch of chemicals in it just because its waterproof doesn't mean its pet safe this is what i use. i paid 12$ for it

it says marineland at the top of it too

View attachment 80686

Curious how you came to this conclusion, GE 1 has been used by aquarists for years without issue, it is actually the same stuff you purchased from Marineland. GE 2 is the unsafe version that had anti mildew chemicals mixed in. I have personally used GE 1 to reseal aquariums and it I can guarantee it is 100% safe.

Your Marineland silicone is actually manufactured by GE, the GE bottle states "not for aquarium use" at the request of All Glass Aquariums and Perfecto, but is the same exact silicone as Marineland but in a different tube.

Your Marineland silicone is actually manufactured by GE, the GE bottle states "not for aquarium use" at the request of All Glass Aquariums and Perfecto, but is the same exact silicone as Marineland but in a different tube.

like i said in my post earlier i have no knowledge in the one that was in the picture i know nothing about silicone i just know it has to be 100% clear silicone rubber. my boyfriends the one that knows all that stuff im the one that knows everything about chameleons xD

like i said in my post earlier i have no knowledge in the one that was in the picture i know nothing about silicone i just know it has to be 100% clear silicone rubber. my boyfriends the one that knows all that stuff im the one that knows everything about chameleons xD

No problem, I was just curious. While I am still new the world of chameleons, I am a long time reef aquarium hobbyist and have used GE 1 numerous times to reseal aquariums, up until about 8 years ago the GE stuff actually stated "aquarium safe" on the back label. If you do a quick google search you will find hundreds of posts regarding the use of GE 1 in aquariums. Not trying to pick a fight, just wanted to share what little info I can with you guys. = )

No problem, I was just curious. While I am still new the world of chameleons, I am a long time reef aquarium hobbyist and have used GE 1 numerous times to reseal aquariums, up until about 8 years ago the GE stuff actually stated "aquarium safe" on the back label. If you do a quick google search you will find hundreds of posts regarding the use of GE 1 in aquariums. Not trying to pick a fight, just wanted to share what little info I can with you guys. = )

well good to know ill have to check it out :) im not really into the whole building thing thats my boyfriends specialty haha

100% silicone is safe as long as it doesnt have the anti-mildew stuff. Ive built my own saltwater reef aquariums with the GE stuff and I can promise you that corals and marine inverts are a million times more sensitive to chemicals than herps. Ive also used the colored GE silicone in amphibian terrariums as backgrounds with no ill effect

just my 2 cents

100% silicone is safe as long as it doesnt have the anti-mildew stuff. Ive built my own saltwater reef aquariums with the GE stuff and I can promise you that corals and marine inverts are a million times more sensitive to chemicals than herps. Ive also used the colored GE silicone in amphibian terrariums as backgrounds with no ill effect

just my 2 cents

thanks good to know!

Back
Top Bottom