is she ready?

heather29

We've had a male panther chameleon since he was a baby. He is now a year old. Last week we bought an adult female & would like to breed them. Previous owner said she laid eggs mid-february. Would she be ready to breed again? I have never done this & don't want them stressed out. We really care about our pets! How long should I wait before they're introduced?

I would wait longer.

The larger things to worry about would be weight, stress level(new home), appetite, hydration, calcium/gutload goodness, etc...

If she's over a year old and a good weight then you can try to breed them now. I hold the female outside the male's cage and watch for the reactions. If the female remains calm and shows no aggressive behavior (hissing, gaping, rocking back and forth, darkening the background colors, etc) to the male and the male doesn't show aggressive actions either then they could be put together to breed. The female should be removed from the cage after the breeding as soon as she shows non-receptive/aggressive behavior to the male. Make sure that you have a proper place set up in her cage so she can dig to show you when she is ready to lay the eggs.

She seems very content until we hold the male up to her cage. How often should I try? I don't want to try to often & stress her out.

Back
Top Bottom